Inheritance : What to do ?

I am lucky enough to have an inheritance. I am married what exactly do you do with the situation?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:02 PM on Mar. 8, 2010 in Money & Work

• Check with a lawyer because I believe unless it is set up as a trust it will become marital property. If you are not okay with that, ask the person to adjust their will.
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 9:07 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• i guess you need to think about what you want to do with your inheritance.....I dont see what being married has anything to do with it. unless you are planning on getting divorced or something.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 9:09 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• A little bit confused. Are you looking to get divorced? Are you just concered for what if?
    You could have something sighned that he gets none of it.
    Hard to tell with out more info.
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 9:22 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• yes i thought more info would be needed. I payed my husband last yr. his refund when i found out we would owe due to te inheritance and he was not expecting it nor I. And yes to the what if. The inheritance is in a trust in my name. But IRS sent a tax payment note and sent him one as well this makes no sense to me. We are married but it is in my name and the whole death stuff still isn't finished due my uncle is co executer and is very busy.
    Anonymous

• Also he was just ticked off bc he feels he should be paid a refund this yr as well this is after I wanted to plan a trip to Disney and universal in a couple weeks he asked was I planning on paying for it ( the trip) and was i buying a suv for trip ( which I need ) but he has one. And yes I was planning on paying for it he can't of course when I asked why were you going to pay for it he responded he would write a check out of the second mortgage account.
    Anonymous

• this sounds very confusing. i would talk to an accountant i guess....

but why is he asking for you to pay for everything....why isn't he paying for anything? and why aren't you guys planning this stuff together. i dont understand. it sounds like you guys have VERY seperate lives. why wouldn't you take the SUV you guys already have? why buy a new one? and do you really need TWO suvs? also, how is this inhertance affecting your tax returns? i got an inheritance last year....maybe the year before and it didnt really affect how much i got back. mine was not in a trust...but still.

and you never really answered the question of if you were planning to get divorced? it sounds like maybe you are thinking of it....if so, i would probably consult an accountant and a lawyer to make sure you are protecting yourself.

Good luck....
    Anonymous

• No I was not planning a divorce just confused myself as to the situation. And the trip just was a random thing that i thought would be nice and realised spring break was coming up I was just researching and brought it up to him tonight. Toatally random I was looking things up a couple nights ago out of couriosity and then had the bright idea. We do have separate bank accounts . He has suv for work and I have been wanting one bc of kids. etc.
    Anonymous