Was this a good way to cut some spending?

Maybe,maybe not one things for sure Hillary doesn't appear all that happy in the picture lol

WASHINGTON - As Hillary Rodham Clinton was leaving the White House, she asked Laura Bush first lady to first lady to continue one program if nothing else - the historic preservation program Save America's Treasures.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:31 PM on Mar. 8, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Mrs. Bush said she knew about the project and pledged to see it through.

Now, the grant program Clinton created that helped restore the original star-spangled banner, Rosa Parks' bus, President Lincoln's summer cottage in Washington and hundreds of sites across the country is on the current administration's chopping block.

"The unfortunate thing is we had no warning" the program was being wiped out of President Barack Obama's budget, said Bobbie Greene McCarthy, who has overseen the program at the National Trust for Historic Preservation and was Clinton's deputy chief of staff. "It was like being hit by a truck."

Anonymous

• The program has paid out nearly $294 million over the past decade to more than 1,100 different sites and generated at least $377 million more in matching funds, according to the National Trust. The National Park Service administers the program, but the nonprofit trust is its chief advocate and helps coordinate applicants.

Historic preservation advocates have shifted into survival mode.

Anonymous

• They argue the program, with its relatively meager federal funding of $30 million annually, has created more than 16,000 jobs across the country at a cost of about $14,000 each. They point out the White House's federal stimulus package is creating jobs at a cost of $248,000 each.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/03/07/save-americas-treasures-o_n_489418.html

Anonymous

• Here's a way to save MILLIONs....Dont send me a letter teling me that you are sending me a census next week...save the postage and SEND ME THE DAMN CENSUS!

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:38 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• What about cutting the bloated military budget?
    Anonymous

• Things have come to a sad pass when turtles and marsh mice mean more than items/places that are part of the nations history.

LOL sweet! I feel this way about our local hosptial. They are always sending out these slick magazine like books touting how great they are. I know the books cost a bundle and that is before the postage. I also don't understand why my husband and I both must get one.

Please don't comment on the military budget if you aren't in the military. You have no clue what it costs fo fund a first rate force.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 9:46 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• LOL sweet! I feel this way about our local hosptial. They are always sending out these slick magazine like books touting how great they are. I know the books cost a bundle and that is before the postage. I also don't understand why my husband and I both must get one.

Or 27 surveys about your hospital stay, if I didnt fill out the first 26, Im probably not interested in evaluation your employees or facility for you! lol....The books are ridiculous....what is the point? Who looks at them and says, gee I cant wait til I have to go there...

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:59 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• Please don't comment on the military budget if you aren't in the military. I am an American citizen and those are my tax dollars too. Who are you to tell me to pipe down on a very important issue? I didnt say dont fund out troops but there is more wasteful spending in the military than anywhere else

Anonymous

LOL sweet, we fianlly agree on something.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 10:06 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

This^^

Hey Special Kid- Do YOU work for the feds? Then why are you compelled to complain so much about the budget and deficit? See how it cuts both ways?????

Anonymous