Did anyone NOT get an ultrasound during their pregnancy?

I read that it's not medically necessary to have even one, especially with a normal pregnancy. Did anyone chose not to have one?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:25 PM on Mar. 8, 2010 in Pregnancy

• i had them w both kids. i watching TLC one night about surprise twin births. one mom was doing everything very naturally, no doppler, no ultrasound, homebirth w no meds. sicne she didnt have any excesive weight gain or symptoms, and went to almost 40 weeks, they never suspected twins.
    erika_wright

Answer by erika_wright at 10:30 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• I know someone who refused. She had one healthy 10 lb boy lol.
    Crystal8327

Answer by Crystal8327 at 10:31 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• We had one for each child and more than likely we WON"T have one with the next. If I feel off I may be I doubt it.
    NoahsMomma418

Answer by NoahsMomma418 at 10:33 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• Op here: Noahsmomma, can I ask why you had them before but won't with the next one?
    Anonymous

• Is there any reason Noahsmomma ? My friend who refused them said they do have a risk involved, Not as risky as an xray but she said its a lie that its that its 100% safe and can result in cell mutation.
    Crystal8327

Answer by Crystal8327 at 10:35 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• When my mom was pregnant with me, she went in for an ultrasound. The ultasound tech wouldn't tell her anything. My mom asked if I was okay, the ultrasound tech said she wasn't at liberty to say. My mom asked if my heart was beating, the UT wouldn't answer her. My mom was a wreck! And went home in tears thinking that I was dead. My dad called my mom's doctor and demanded answers, and he said I was fine and that the technicians aren't aloud to say anything because if something is wrong or goes wrong, people will sue in a second because the tech said their baby was fine, etc. So my mom was traumized from that experience that she didn't have anymore ultrasounds with me, and didn't have any for either of my 2 younger sisters.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 10:44 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• i did not have any ultrasounds for my first two pregnancies. i had two for my third pregnancy, we had twins...we had a homebirth, but there were signs...an excess of amniotic fluid at month 5 and two distinct heartbeats at month 6. that is when we got an ultrasound. we had one ultrasound to see how many babies for this pregnancy, it is one this time! i think there is a proven risk of harm with excessive ultrasounds. i think there is no reason to look so closely at a developing baby, unless you really suspect there could be a problem that could be handled better with more information. i refused my 20 week ultrasound, and the only thing the ob said was there could be a problem at birth if there is placenta previa. i honestly think she lied to me, b/c this is likely to occur after 20 weeks anyhow! look at all the questions here about what techs and dr's say they saw, i think it most often leads to excess worry!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:48 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• I can say my doctor did them to excess and now i question is this is why my son has an organ problem. He wanted to do one with each 2 week appointment I had. I was gullible and did not know of any risk until the last 12 weeks of my pregnancy when i refused from then on. If down the road sometime they can prove what the risk entails I may have a lawsuit for my sons suffering.

Crystal8327

Answer by Crystal8327 at 10:52 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• I had one almost weekly with both of my kids for a while because of health problems. both of my girls are happy and healthy kids with no problems now
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 11:01 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• In the group "Natural Pregnancy and Childbirth" there are many moms who did not have any ultrasounds.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 11:42 PM on Mar. 8, 2010