What do you think of pitbull dogs?

My first dog was a full blooded American Red Nose PitBull. She was ones of the best dogs I have ever known. She was not mean or violent. She was well trained and just the sweetest dog ever.
My hubby and had a pitbull about 6 years ago and she was the same way, she got attacked by cyotes and died and we miss her soo much!!!

I know alot of people have bad thoughts of pitbulls and think they are all mean dogs.

I belive it is all in the way you raise the dog.

What do you think of pitbulls?

rochellecole

Asked by rochellecole at 10:38 PM on Mar. 8, 2010 in Pets

• love them i would choose them over any other breed. they ere bred for amily dogs not for fightng like people thought!
    Anonymous

• I love them! They really are sweet dogs. I also believe that it is how you raise them. Dogs are not mean by nature - they are taught to be that way. JMO.
    Katt709

Answer by Katt709 at 10:43 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• I knew a couple personally that had a pit bull. Raised it, loved it and it was the best dog ever..... then one day it turned on their 2 year old son - who still has scars to this day - he is now 8. I have heard similar stories all my life.

Too many stories are out there about dog bites... and 90% of them are pit bulls. Rarely a lab or a golden retriever... I say go with one of those breeds, especially if you have kids. I will not allow my kids around a pit bull. If friends have one - I have asked them to put the dog away while we were visiting.... if they refuse (which they have the right too - it's their dog), then I don't visit. I had a lab. Sweetest dog ever. Great with kids. Now look up the articles with attacks by a lab vs a pit..... I already know which one wins. I have heard the arguement many times about "It's how you raise a dog", but a pit was bred to be vicious.... it's like jumping in a ..... con't
    ratchetlee

Answer by ratchetlee at 10:47 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• .... con't tank with a "killer" whale. It may have been sweet and playful, and raised to play, but in the end it's still a killer whale. So if you are willing to accept the risks of a pit bull as the owner.... .then have at it.... but put some money away, so that when you are sued - you don't lose everything.
    ratchetlee

Answer by ratchetlee at 10:49 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• I agree with ratchetlee. I'm terrified of pitbills and would never get one, nor let my son be around one. Sure not ALL pitbulls live up to their reputation, but they didn't get the bad name for nothing. There have been tons of attacks and usually the dog is either a pitbull or a rotweiler. Like ratchetlee said. You can raise something to be nice, but sometimes that violence and agression is just in their blood.
    Anonymous

• i think theyre awesome, ive personally never owned one, but my friends have, and my ex bfs mom had/has one, they have all been the sweetest dogs ever. awesome with kids, tons of patience. i used to work at a vet when i was 16-18, and i was in charge of feeding, bathing, and walking them and cleaning their kennels, and i can honestly say the only dogs i was ever scared of was the lil yappy ones, they nip waaaaay more than a big dog does. i already have 3 dogs right now, but one day i will have a rottie, i think they are beautifull dogs!! pitbulls just arent as cute..lol..
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 11:01 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• It's not haw you raise them. Any dog can be gentle and then one day bite or nip at someone. It is an issue of genetics. When a regular dog bites, it chomps down then lets go and maybe chomps on you again. A pit bull chomps down and the jaws lock. That is why you will get shredded by one. There is no such think as "just a nip" with a pit bull. I think they should be outlawed. And owners should have very serious consequences if their dog is ever off a leash, roaming, or bits someone.

Anonymous

• Pit Bulls are my favorite. Hands down. I cannot wait to get a bigger place so we can finally get one, my husband had to leave his in SC when he moved back to CA...it was heartbreaking!
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 11:20 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• Depends on the dog. I've met pit bulls that were very sweet animals. I also had one charge at me for no reason when I was 7 months pregnant, scared the s*** out of me! Fortunately it was distracted by a passing car and ran off. I've also had unleashed dogs act aggressively toward me while I pushed my son's stroller around the neighborhood.

Regardless of the breed I'm for responsible dog ownership. That means if you live in a city or suburb your dog should be leashed, fenced-in or both, for the dog's protection and everyone else's. My right to take a walk in my own neighborhood outweighs any dog's right to attack my child and me unprovoked!
    Anonymous

• I personally would not get one. It's too risky, because dogs, especially pit bulls, have been known to have had no violent history and act out when you least expect it to regardless of how it is raised.
    Anonymous