Chicken pox...measels...something!!

Hey everyone I need some insight, I'm calling the dr first thing in the morning, but in the mean time my 6 year old has been running a fever off and on since friday night. Tonight he started breaking out with a red rash all over, I thought it looked like he had really bad acne all over his face but he's only six. Then I put him in the bath and noticed that it covers his body and he's complaining that it itches really bad. I know no one on here is a dr but can someone tell me what it sounds like to you?? He's had the chicken pox vaccine can he still get it even though he's had the vax?

trevsrockinmom

Asked by trevsrockinmom at 10:49 PM on Mar. 8, 2010 in Kids' Health

• He can get the chicken pox and the measles even though he's had the vaccine. The vaccines are not 100% effective. Personally, i would guess chickenpox ...but where do you live? there's an outbreak of measles right now (77% of those infected were fully vaxed) in New Jersey.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 10:54 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• We are in Alabama
    trevsrockinmom

Answer by trevsrockinmom at 10:54 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• Many kids who have been vaccinated still get chicken pox but it is way less severe than if they hadn't.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 10:59 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• Chicken pox. Put some oat meal in the bath with him and wash him with it. It'll help the itching. Cut off his finger nails and put socks on his hands to keep him from scratching. Lavender oil can sometimes help the itch and dry up the rash. You can break his fever if you choose to with tylenol or motrin. Call the doc in the morning.

I'm so sorry your baby is miserable.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:01 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 11:10 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• does he still have the fever? If not, it may be roseola. I would google pictures of them both.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:22 AM on Mar. 9, 2010

• sounds like the pox to me! vax's suck!
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 2:43 PM on Mar. 9, 2010