Cant understand 4yo?

I watch a little boy that just turned 4. (Ive watched him now for about 6mo) and
I cannot understand 90% of what he says. When he does talk, he cannot communicate very well. ( example: He says Lanee hurt Caden instead of Lanee hurt me/ or Lanee hit me, and if I ask him a question about it-- hes BLANK/repeats himself.. My dd can explain the whole story. Why she hit him, where she hit him. what he took.
He is still not potty trained (ive tried, dont know how well the parents are trying).

I have a (just turned) 3yo dd... and I just feel like he seems younger than her.. Its so hard to describe. (NO im not a parent who says "my child is a genius" I think dd is normal for her age )

Is this normal for boys?
I dont know what to do!?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:00 PM on Mar. 8, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• boys are sometimes slower...but, by 4 they should be able to comminucate properly..maybe theres more to it than we know of??!! is he in preschool or anything?? or maybe his parents are just lazy?? dont talk to him?? they obviously havent taken the time to potty train yet..so..who knows
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 11:06 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• Have you mentioned anything to his parents? Maybe they aren't aware of the problem or haven't been paying attention to him? He could have a developmental problem, and since he is not potty trained at the age of 4, I would def. think something isn't right.
    Anonymous

• He could have speech problems. My oldest son did.
    JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 11:13 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• Boys can be a bit slower. I know exactly what your talking about my DS is 4 and he's just gotten into the habit of not refering to himself by name that way. His parents may not be teaching him how to properly express himself, by correcting those sentences and telling him the right way to say it.

Potty training: Every child is different. Ds#1 still has issues with wetting. Ds#2 was fully potty trained by 3. Ds#3 is 4 and still has his moments where he forgets what to do.

Dont jump the track and assume the worst here. Talk to his parents and keep working with him.
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 11:14 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• How do you talk to the parents about this?! Especially if we are friends..
    Anonymous