What is the proper age to start potty training your toddler?

You see, I have a son, 19 months now. His relief cycle is pretty set and he knows how to remove his pants and diaper. My husband and I have been talking for some time since he turned one, on when we should start getting him used to at least using his little potty pot; that we have yet to get mind you.....^_^6 But you see my delima. I think we should wait till closer to two about the same time we switch his bed from a crib to toddler with side bars, so that way all changes to his routine come near the same time...(if this last idea is not advised, please let me know.)
So yeah, any help on this would be great and very much appreciated.

NekoClone

Asked by NekoClone at 11:09 PM on Mar. 8, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It may not be good to have all the changes happen at once. If he seems ready to potty train then start potty training.
    JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 11:15 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• I wouldnt take on that many changes at once. It can be overwhelming. He takes off his pants and diapers...He's ready mommy.
    Gradually introduce a little potty. Make it fun and a happy time when going.

Good luck and have fun!
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 11:18 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• i started my daughter at 1.5yrs...it took not even a week, i think as long as your son is showing signs of readiness then you should go ahead and start..as for wating to switch beds, why???? what difference does it really make? especially since there could be nights with accidents, why not let the crib bed get all peed on, rather than ruining a new mattress?? then again, you did say toddler bed, so im assuming it will be the same mattress?? i dunno tho, cuz i went straight from crib to twin size with my daughter so im not really sure if theres different toddler bed mattresses...but yaa anyways, i would start now..theres no harm in trying, if hes ready great, if he starts showing that hes NOT ready, then you can stop and try again in a few months..just remember lots of praise, hugs and kisses, and rewards!! (put some cheerios in the toilet and get him to sink them, helps with aim, and lord knows men need to aim!! lol
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 11:21 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• I've already started and my daughter just turned 2. I'm not forcing her to learn, I'm just introducing the concept and encouraging her to sit down every time I am sitting or every time I take her diaper off. She will do it when she is ready, but I'm not going to wait until she is 3 or 4 to start introducing it to her when I could start now and she could be done by the time she is 3 or 4.
    NewJoyOn1308

Answer by NewJoyOn1308 at 10:52 AM on Mar. 9, 2010

• My first daughter we just switched cold turkey at 19 months and she did fine. It took her a few weeks in underwear before she stopped having accidents, but I thought she did really well (I'd rather have dealt with some messes than wait till 3 when people claim they train in a day). My second we started working with more gradually around 16 months and she just turned 18 months and is wearing undies full-time (except overnight) and telling us when she needs to go most of the time. I don't think you need to wait until he's 2. People used to train before two all the time... waiting until 2.5-3 is a recent development. There's NO reason to think that they cannot finish training until 3 or 4. Consistency is key. For us, real progress was made once diapers weren't an option anymore. My almost 3 year old has only had a couple of accidents in the last year, and they were both when she was sick!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 1:14 PM on Mar. 9, 2010