Has anyone here ever had the doctor give you cytotec to soften cervix. IF so how did it work for you? My doc gave me cytotec and im just wondering how many people it actually worked for to help or prepare you for an induced labor?

jmtrox02

Asked by jmtrox02 at 11:39 PM on Mar. 8, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I hear it is used a lot, but not for me. I would avoid that more than any other intervention available, I think.
    Did you think it was effective?
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:43 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• Cytotec is very very dangerous and is not approved for pregnant woman.

http://www.midwiferytoday.com/articles/misoprostol.asp

http://www.whatisaids.com/cytotec107.htm

http://www.rxlist.com/cytotec-drug.htm

PLEASE check out that last link. ...

outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 11:49 PM on Mar. 8, 2010

• I'm not 100% positive what mine was called, but my midwife used a pill that goes on the cervix to start my labor. Long story, but she only ended up using 1/3 of the pill, and it was all I needed - it put my in full blown labor (I was also a week overdue so that helped). I had no problems. Didn't need any pitocin, which I was happy about. Didn't need it with my other inductions.
    Anonymous

• Cytotec is EXTREMELY dangerous. It's NOT approved for use on pregnant women and the box WARNS doctors not to use this to induce labor!

I was uneducated about this with my first birth and bled out after being giving Cytotec. I had to have 2 transfusions and almost lost my uterus because of this medication.

I sincerely hope your doctor didn't give this to you and send you home. Women who have this med have to be monitored VERY closely.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:15 AM on Mar. 9, 2010

• Cervadil softens the cervix. Cytotec is a GI drug often misused to induce labor, that can cause violent contractions that can harm both mother and baby. Check with your care provider to find out which they meant. If it's Cytotec, just say no. Cervadil can be gently effective, though.
    Xakana

Answer by Xakana at 3:20 AM on Mar. 9, 2010

• my sister almost died from cytotec, as it caused the placenta to separate from the uterine wall before delivery. Placental abruption, that's what I was thinking of. Cytotec is an evil drug. It wasn't even developed for use in pregnant woman-it's an ulcer drug!
    purpleswiper253

Answer by purpleswiper253 at 7:51 AM on Mar. 9, 2010

• Cytotec is dangerous. I would never allow anyone near me with it. It can not be dosaged properly (it is an ulcer medication). The warning in the packet says specifically NOT to use on pregnant women and that it has caused overstimulation of the uterus resulting in hemmorage or uterine rupture. Women have lost their uterus and died from it.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:58 AM on Mar. 9, 2010

• It is also calle misoprostol by the way.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:59 AM on Mar. 9, 2010

• Cytotec is very very dangerous, it should not be used on pregnant women at all, the manufacturer has even sent out explicit warnings against the use of this drug for induction purposes. I would never allow anyone to use that drug on me, women have died because of it. The only reason that its still being used by irresponsible doctors is because its cheap.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 11:23 AM on Mar. 9, 2010

• I was given Cytotec when my water broke before I actually went into labor (I was full term). It did help to soften my cervix, but my labor was very complicated. I'm not sure if it was related in part to the Cytotec (I know at least some of it was not). I'm not a big fan of interventions, and would suggest lots of sex instead if you are trying to soften your cervix. Cytotec has prostaglandins in it, which are the same hormone in semen that softens the cervix. In fact, synthetic prostaglandins are made from pig semen. Sex works well if both you and your partner orgasm. The prostaglandins soften the cervix, and your orgasm can help to stimulate contractions. Cervidil is another form of synthetic prostaglandin that is inserted into your vagina. I don't know the risks of Cervidil versus Cytotec, but I would imagine they are similar. Here's hoping nature kicks in for you! =)
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:39 PM on Mar. 9, 2010