do indians feel pressured to be doctors and engineers?

My coworker is from india and from what it sounds like it seems they pressure their children into those careers. She tells me her sons dream is to be a teacher but he is going to go to skool to be a dr. Because she wants him to.it seems like everything is about money for these people(my coworker and her family) I feel kinda bad. For him. just curious if this was common with all or most indians

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:10 AM on Mar. 9, 2010 in Money & Work

• Nothing wrong in pressuring somebody in life. You've got to have goals in life.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:43 AM on Mar. 9, 2010

• Unfortunately from my experience it is common. It kinda depends on which genertation grew up over here. My friends parents were pretty lax because theyve been over here for soo long, they did have high expectations but they allowed their kids to make their own decisions!!
    Anonymous

• YES!!!!!!!!! And if you aren't a Doc /Engineer or the like.. You Better MARRY one.. LOL really honestly, and truly.. I heard it all my life.. Who and what I needed to marry in order have a decent life!!!!. In India, and for many of us who were born or raised in the states, it's very important to marry someone with a "future", a decent job, a good career and potential upward mobility (if they are not already a member of the upper class). Money and a large home are important because we have to care for extended family. I'm married to an eldest son, so taking care of my inlaws is my responsibility. My eldest brother & his wife have the charge of taking care of our parents. And in turn, it will be our children's responsibility to care for us, so they too must be well education & have a good job......Station, stature, and where you are on the economic ladder are VERY VERY important!!!
    Anonymous