my toddler likes to lock doors

my son now likes to lock doors. he will lock himself in the bathroom and my room the bathroom i dont have a problem with because i can use a knife to open it, but if my bedroom door gets left open he will lock himself in their. the lock on it u need a key and i dont have the key to it because it was that way when i moved in my apt. so thats what he did today locked himelf in my room, i could hear him jumping on my bed and laughing... i got so mad he would not come out or open the door he keeped telling me no, finally he open the door and he got a swat on the butt

elias1mamma22

Asked by elias1mamma22 at 12:15 AM on Mar. 9, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• they actually sell things in like Babys r us.. they are these foam things you put on the top part of your door so it cant close all the way. its made so they dont pinch there fingers but it works just as well for not closing it all the way. also what i did for a while to was, i bought those door handel things that snap on around the handel so the kid cant open it. well i put it on the inside of my door so if he closes it he cant lock it.. my son just locked me & DH out the other day & it took him 30 mins to open it cause he was watching tv lol .. the joys of being a parent.
    lyz826

Answer by lyz826 at 12:22 AM on Mar. 9, 2010

• lucky me my tv does not work...some of those baby proof things dont work
    elias1mamma22

Answer by elias1mamma22 at 12:30 AM on Mar. 9, 2010

• Isn't it great!?! haha gotta love em.. mine do the same sometimes lock the door while its open and close it on the way out so we have to take the knob off with a screwdriver cus no one is even in there to unlock it haha.. We used the plastic knob covers untill they figured out how to break them off by hitting it with a blunt object, now they know how to use it without even breaking it off haha.. so smart.. irritating but bright.. a good old pat on the bottom is what we do now, it works if your consistant and not outwardly angry when you do it.. but it takes a few times sometimes.. never heard of the foam things, sounds cool, I might give that a go on the doors we dont usually close☺ Good luck and God bless♥♥ Elizabeth
    ChristianMamaO3

Answer by ChristianMamaO3 at 12:31 AM on Mar. 9, 2010

• We took the locks off of our doors.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:29 AM on Mar. 9, 2010