polite kids

who here is teaching their kids manners? my son says please, no thank you, thank you, he calls his eachers (example) miss sandra sometimes he will call me miss mommy and my mom miss grandpa.. and now im getting him to open doors for me like our front door and he will hold it open for me.

elias1mamma22

Asked by elias1mamma22 at 1:11 AM on Mar. 9, 2010 in General Parenting

• i am but kids are at the end of the day kids and if they step off the 'polite train' every once in a while it should be ok. i just keep appreciating the good stuff they do. im sure they will grow up to be pleasant adults.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:14 AM on Mar. 9, 2010

• and oh forgot to add.. the easiest way of teaching them politeness is to be polite yourself to them as well as others.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:15 AM on Mar. 9, 2010

• yes i teach my boys manners. I don't teach them to hold the door open for me. I feel that is something a man should teach them (or demonstrate for them). But they do say "yes ma'am" to my "orders" ...but we are military so i guess that's to be expected! lol
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:20 AM on Mar. 9, 2010

• I think that while respect is important it can be shown in other ways than ma'am and sir. I treat my children the way I treat strangers which is with kindness and respect. I demonstrate polite behavior EVERYWHERE we go and they catch on fast. My 19 month old consistently says "thank you" when handed something, to the cashiers, to the waiters, when some one holds a door for us and basically wherever I consistently say thank you. He greets every one "hello" and hands them things when they drop it.
    He is still too young to be taught to hold the door open since I am the one holding it open for him still, but when we do, we hold it open for strangers as well so I assume he will follow example like he has other things.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:30 AM on Mar. 9, 2010

• anon
    i did not teach them to say ma'am and sir. it's part of our lifestyle. i say ma'am and sir and so does my husband. so naturally, so do our children.
    and of course they say thank you and your welcome and i'm sorry and all of those other things. as well as other manners such as chewing with their mouths closed, shaking hands when meeting someone new, etc etc.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:36 AM on Mar. 9, 2010

• oh yes, we teach manners around here.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 7:45 AM on Mar. 9, 2010

• Who would not teach their kids those things?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:50 AM on Mar. 9, 2010

• we don't always see children at their best. My son has a play date and took a car out of his friend's hand. Not polite. He was tired and we have talked about sharing and more to the point - about not taking toys from some one's hand. Yes, it could look like he is not polite. He was tired, over stimulated by the big day, and he had not had a good breakfast or lunch. All those things added up to a crying non sharing child. Do we teach him to be nice and respectful of others? Yes. But he is a human being in training. Which means he is learning and we have to model and model and model until he is.....well, we never stop. Eventually it is up to them to decide if they put what they have seen and learned into practice.  My son is most "polite" in predictable familiar places.  So at home and school.  A casual observer at Target on an off day might think I was one of those parents who do not role model well.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:37 AM on Mar. 9, 2010

• I agree with frogdawg. I teach my children manners, but expect that there will be times when they are children having a bad day. I won't judge your child if you don't judge mine. Those who know my children well, know they are almost always really great kids. At any given moment, however, any given stranger could catch my child in a not so great moment and think they are aweful.

I try to teach my children to be polite, but not gender specific. If somebody is coming behind you, you should hold the door for them. Male/female doesn't matter. While I teach them to respect their elders, I teach them that you should be nice to everybody, not just your elders. Kids learn very early to sterotype and I feel its important to be kind to all, male or female, young or not so young.
    pennyfred

Answer by pennyfred at 8:55 AM on Mar. 9, 2010

• Don't forget that certain "polite" acts are taken differently in different parts of the world and even in different parts of the US. In Wisconsin, it can be an insault to call a 30 something year old ma'am. Ma'am is mostly reserved for the elderly here. In these parts, you call friends of your parents by their first name. If my kids' friends called me Mrs, I'd be insulted because that implies they don't know me well enough to call me by my first name.

Different strokes for different folks.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:03 AM on Mar. 9, 2010