My 6 year old ...deep cough...no fever...what could it be?

My daughter has had this cough that doesn't seem to want to go away. Back in February our family had been hit twice with a flu of some sort. It came with explosive diarrhea and projectile vomiting. None of us had fevers but just let it run it's course. We eventually got over it. Now my daughter has developed a deep cough that seems worse at night. She still coughs during the day and I went to the doctor who gave her amoxicillin...but after much of her prescription was taken she began throwing it up. SO we stopped giving it to her. My brother suggested last night over the phone that it might be a bout of bronchitis. I've never dealt with it before so I took his advice when he said to try an expectorant/cough suppressant. We used Robittusin DM last night and then again this afternoon....tonight the cough seems more deep and she is also starting to have a runny nose . Is this a good sign that the medicine is working?

truetigress

Asked by truetigress at 1:20 AM on Mar. 9, 2010 in Health

• She just began this medicine so it's only been two doses. What else can I do to ease her cough. She sounds so miserable. Thanks in advance.
    truetigress

Answer by truetigress at 1:22 AM on Mar. 9, 2010

• try giving her honey. it will help with a sore and tired throat.

Honestly (and i do not recommend this lightly) i think you need to take her back to the doctors.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:26 AM on Mar. 9, 2010

• do you keep a humidifier in her room? you can prop her up while she is sleeping. make sure that she is hydrated.
    good luck!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 7:39 AM on Mar. 9, 2010

• Whooping cough is really bad in our area this year, you should take her back to the doc.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:18 AM on Mar. 9, 2010

• Yeah take her back in. Don't let them just prescribe her anything without telling you what's wrong. Good Luck
    LyTe684

Answer by LyTe684 at 8:51 AM on Mar. 9, 2010

• I would suspect whooping cough, bronchitis, or asthma. (I'm not a doctor, but MY daughter has those exact same symptoms due to asthma and chronic bronchitis--your description sounds like what we deal with.) I wouldn't let that doctor get off so easily with the amoxicillin--if antibiotics are used for every little thing, they won't work when she really needs them. My guess is that you'll end up with a nebulizer & some albuterol or budesonide.

Best wishes, mommy! I hope your baby girl feels better soon! That coughing is no fun, be it asthma or something simpler. To help her along, you could put in a humidifier and make sure she gets plenty to drink. My daughter's a little brat when she's sick, so I give her popsicles. (She thinks it's a treat, but I really do it to make sure she stays hydrated.)
    LadyNicole

Answer by LadyNicole at 9:14 AM on Mar. 9, 2010

• Definitely take her back in to the Dr's. She night be allergic to Amox, but needs an antibiotic, so they will change it to something that won't bother her stomach as much. Sounds like croup. Try a humidifier at night or run the shower steaming Hot and let her sit in the bathroom to breathe in the steam. Doubt it's whooping cough if she doesn't have a fever. Good luck.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 9:36 AM on Mar. 9, 2010

• I agree that you should take her back to the doctor. It sounds like bronchitis to me, my whole family just got over it not even two weeks ago. My kids doctor said for the cough to give them Robitussin DM. I think her doctor needs to give her a different antibiotic though because it shouldn't be making her sick. GL and I hope she feels better soon.
    jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 9:53 AM on Mar. 9, 2010

• Did you tell the doctor about her reaction to the amoxicillin? It might be possible she is allergic to it. Hope you talk to him/her. Also ask to run some allergy tests and take an xray of her lungs & throat to clear all other possibilities.
    Well, If anyone around her is a smoker, then no amount of medication will help her. I hope that is not the case.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:15 AM on Mar. 9, 2010

• Croup
    NewJoyOn1308

Answer by NewJoyOn1308 at 10:40 AM on Mar. 9, 2010