Dead mouse! Help!

There is a dead mouse rotting & we think its in the wall but we aren't entirely sure. I dont know what to do! We had mice in the garage. Put out poison. I know they ate it (saw the evidence). Now, our bedroom (over garage) smells like rotten dead mouse! Will the smell just eventually fade away? We moved all the furniture & cant find anything. Narrowed it down to one wall by the doorway where we can smell it worst. I dont know what to do!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:21 AM on Mar. 9, 2010 in Home & Garden

• OP here: Thanks. I think we decided to just wait & see if it gets better. If not, then we might tear into the wall but that is a last resort. I put a an exhaust fan in the window today to try to suck some of the odor out. its helping a little bit.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:31 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• That has happened to us twice, except we hadn't put any poison out (maybe our neighbor did). The smell is so nasty and sickening! The smell lasted for a good 2 weeks. Once it has decomposed and dried out, it shouldn't smell anymore. I'm so sorry. I totally get how nasty it is! Keep the room ventilated, use a fan, open the windows, and burn some candles. The 2nd one we had was in our master bathroom and we bought one of those automatic air fresheners that spray every 10-30 minutes. It helped to mask the smell a little without worrying about leaving a candle burning or having to keep going back in there to spray air freshener. Good luck! I hope the stink goes away soon!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:09 AM on Mar. 9, 2010

• You'll either have to wait it out like the first reply says, or take a chance and cut out a chunk of wall (plaster or whatever you have) to see if you can find it and get it out, then put the wall back together. It's not that hard if you know what you're doing or have experience with drywalling.
    Anonymous