Horrible diaper rash

Anyone have good home remedy ideas for diaper rash? My daughter has one that is on it's 2nd day and even stronger than yesterday. It's wearing both of us down with her screaming, crying, and discomfort.
I've tried the butt paste which seemed to work wonders for my 1st daughter but has had no effect on my 2nd daughter!
By the way, she is almost 1 year old.

mychinababy

Asked by mychinababy at 3:44 AM on Mar. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Clean with a washcloth and not baby wipes and use aloe vera gel.... Did this is DS and it worked for me. Hope it works for you.

Good luck to you and baby
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 3:47 AM on Mar. 9, 2010

• GIve her a bath and let her go without a diaper on for a while, put some vaseline on, good luck.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:17 AM on Mar. 9, 2010

• No vaseline! Petroleum is very bad for the skin and does not let the area breathe at all. The BEST thing for diaper rash is AIR. Make sure she is cleaned well with a wash cloth and plain water (maybe a tad of soap) but NO WIPES. They burn horribly and can make the diaper rash worse or often cause an allergic reaction in the first place.

Let her bottom air out as much as possible. When you do put on a diaper, make sure she is completely dry (fan her bottom with a peice of fabric or the diaper) before putting it on. Changer her immediately. You can also look into diapers that are scente and dye free, additives are notorious for diaper rash.

Pure Aloe gel is excellent! For oils us something natural like shea butter, coconut oil, or cocoa butter.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 6:53 AM on Mar. 9, 2010

• IMO,you can start potty learning now. It's a good window. You can follow the principles of Elimination communication. http://www.naturalbirthandbabycare.com/elimination-communication.html If you have questions feel free to ask me.

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 6:54 AM on Mar. 9, 2010

• What has always worked for me was, on top of using washcloth to wipe & bathing and airing her bottom, when putting on the diaper, liberally caking on Desitin has always taken care of my children's diaper rashes.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:49 AM on Mar. 9, 2010

• If the diaper rash ointment continues to fail, check with your Dr. It could be a yeast or bacterial infection.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 9:56 AM on Mar. 9, 2010

• If it's worse today than yesterday and you've been using cream on it I would think it could be yeast. Buy some Lotrimin (yes the fungal cream), the generic one is fine, and put that on it twice a day. If it starts to improve then it is yeast and you continue to do that until it's gone and then for a couple more days to make sure you got it all.
    Also, whether it's yeast or just a regular diaper rash rinsing it with cool water with some baking soda in it is soothing and make sure they get plenty of diaper free time to air it out.
    nicoled02

Answer by nicoled02 at 11:24 AM on Mar. 9, 2010

• The only thing that ever worked with my kids was BAG BALM. A lot of the larger grocery stores carry it, usually in the skin care type aisles and most drug stores have it, at least around here. (it's usually in a green tin with a cow picture on the top...they have it in small diaper bag size also)

I took care of a little girl once for an afternoon. The poor thing had the WORST diaper rash, it was beginning to blister. I put Bag Balm on it and gave some to her mom so she could use it at every diaper change. The mom called me the next day to say the diaper rash was COMPLETELY GONE. She was amazed and has used it ever since. I've always been surprised that so many people are not aware of it.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 12:00 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• My mother in law gave me an ointment called Resinol... its amazing. It will help so much. MUCH better than Desitin.
    mercilove

Answer by mercilove at 1:59 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• Thank you all SO much! All this advice is wonderful! She was just starting to blister yesterday but after using some of this advice she's already looking better. I can't thank you enough!
    mychinababy

Answer by mychinababy at 7:08 PM on Mar. 9, 2010