how to stop my 1 year old from throwing a fit.

I thought the terrible twos were a year away!
my daughter is 14 months old. she doesnt listen, but she knows exactly what i mean. shes very advanced, and knows that "lets get going " means we r leaving, she even gets her shoes and mine and her coat and waves.

but...when i tell her no! she just laughs and looks at me and keeps doing it.

and NOW shes starting to throw a bratty FIT(kicking and screaming like shes pissed at me!) when she doesnt get what she wants! how do i stop this? ive said NO we dont act like that, ive patted her lightly on her bottom, and just started putting her in her crib for a few mins when she does this, but i dont know if its working.

Loveaddict6

Asked by Loveaddict6 at 8:12 AM on Mar. 9, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Have you tried ignoring her. If she starts "throwing a bratty FIT" just walk away where she couldn't see you. Make her understand that the fit won't get her way. Try thin and you'll see how she stops and next thing she will look for you as soon as she sees you she'll throw a fit again. You just walk away. Stick with this. Remember moms do this every time for my son it took three times. Now he is not doing it anymore. Our precious babies do this for attention and if there is not an audience then there is no one to show it to. So to speak. Good Luck
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:19 AM on Mar. 9, 2010

• When my son did that at a very young age as well, I started carrying a wooden spoon around with me. Rarely have to use it, I think as a mom, our children look at us as the nurturing one, which we are and at times that can make it hard for them to obey us..so i think the spoon is intimidating because its not directly linked to me if that makes since, anyhow, its tiny and fits in my purse , even in public now if my son is acting bad I can whisper in his ear, "do I need to get out the spoon" and he stops. I know not everyone agrees with spankings so to each his own. I usually dont even have to though, its the intimidating part that works. Good luck!
    Ilovemychi

Answer by Ilovemychi at 8:52 AM on Mar. 9, 2010

• First off, do not give her any attention when she is doing this. Pick her up, say "you cannot act like that" or something of the sort & put her in her room, or in her crib. Let her freak out, & do not even look at her while she is freaking out. Children learn manipulation very young. They learn that crying & pitching a fit gets them what they want. Well, you need to prove to her that this behavior does nothing positive for her. When she simmers down, take her out of her room. This is not technically a time out, just a waiting period for the freak out to subside.

Any attention you give her will feed this behavior, even negative attention. That is why it is important to say just a few words to get your point accross & then ignor her. Even if you keep talking to her, or explaining things to her, this will teach her that her behavior gets a rise/reaction out of you & that can help comtinue the behavior.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:59 AM on Mar. 9, 2010

• FYI, ignoring her behavior works much better than a wooden spoon does & you don't have to harm your child.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:01 AM on Mar. 9, 2010

• We spank for this type of behavior, on bare legs, just hard enough for the sting to be felt. As the above answerer said, if you will do it a few times, you will seldom have to. Children need to have boundaries and they need to know they can't trespass them. The earlier you teach her that you are her authority and she is to do what you say when you say, the more she will respect you and the more peaceful will be your home. She knows what she's doing, so now is the time to teach her not to.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:03 AM on Mar. 9, 2010

• You haven't seen a "real" fit yet....wait until she hits 2! I don't like to say "terrible 2'a," but she is really trying my patience and sanity sometimes. Instead of spanking her, I will put her in time out or in her room and let her cry it out. When she get done, she will come out and say she is sorry. I do believe in spanking, but not in cases of a tantrum at 2.
    NewJoyOn1308

Answer by NewJoyOn1308 at 10:56 AM on Mar. 9, 2010

• yeah sounds like some good advice, i wont ever hit her with anything, and i just pat her when i do.
    Loveaddict6

Answer by Loveaddict6 at 3:03 PM on Mar. 9, 2010