Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question about Florida License

Is it possible to have a Florida license with an out of state address on it? I ask b/c they just hired a new guy where I work and he is pretty strange but so are lots of people in the south, lol. Anyway, he has a Florida license with an Arizona address on it. I thought it was really weird b/c I thought your license had to be issued in the state you're living in. He showed it to me b/c we were talking about registering a vehicle he bought and I told him he would need to get a license from our state before he could register the vehicle. He said he would just contact Florida and get them to send him a license with his new address on it. I told him that wasn't possible, that your license had to be from the state you live in, that's when he showed me his license.
Anyway, it's really not a big deal, I'm just curious b/c I've never heard of this.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 8:45 AM on Mar. 9, 2010 in Just for Fun

Answers (5)
  • I'm in FL had to show proof of FL residence to get the license.

    I guess it might be possible if you only live in FL part of the year, to keep getting your license address changed...


    Answer by Anonymous at 8:52 AM on Mar. 9, 2010

  • It is very possible. My husband is in the military and I am a registered voter in the State of Florida, and claim it for my residency. When I renewed my license last May, they (the State of Florida) wanted a permanent address where they could reach me. At the time, we were in Washington State (I didn't have to change my residency there because I'm a SAHM, so there wasn't any income to tax or anything like that.), but we were getting ready to move to Japan (where we are now).

    My inlaws live in California, and they always have a way to reach us. Florida allowed me to put their address (in CA) on my license as my permanent address, and, for about 5 weeks (from when we got my new license in the mail to when we moved), I had a FL license with a CA address while physically residing in WA.

    It was all legal.

    Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:53 AM on Mar. 9, 2010

  • Oh, I should add though, that the biggest reason that I can do this and have it be legal is because of the military, and because I don't work outside the home, and because we did physically reside in FL, when I chose to take the steps to legally change my residency to there. (Most of the time, especially if you aren't a military family, just moving to a State, getting a job, a license, and registering to vote is all it takes to do this.)

    You have to be in the State at least some of the time, or, in cases like ours, planning to return to the State, to be able to do this. You can't just choose to have a license from whatever State you want, just to have a license from there - there needs to be a reason that the State in question will accept as a valid one to do this.

    But, it IS possible :-)

    Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:59 AM on Mar. 9, 2010

  • sailorwifenmom's situation is the only one I know of in which what you describe can be done. Unless he's in the military, or possibly in college (and I even doubt it for college), you have to show proof of FL residency to get a FL license, and it will have the FL address on it. People who live here part time either have their license from here or from the other state, and they just use the same one year round, regardless of where they are currently staying.

    Answer by tropicalmama at 9:40 AM on Mar. 9, 2010

  • This is guy is not in the military, he is working in retail and he says he lived in Arizona for 2 years prior to moving here. I don't know, there's just something that isn't quite right with this guy.

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:09 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.