Using baby slings?

I was about to order a sling, until my mother and sister both said it would be a waste of money. The main reason I wanted one was for breastfeeding in public. What has your experience with them been like? My mum said that (obviously) baby will get too heavy too quickly so it wont be used for long, and that it doesn't feel secure so I will be tempted to hold her underneath it anyway. Are they any good?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:23 AM on Mar. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I like the wrap. Moby's are cheap and are forgiving if you are just learning to wrap. It is a bit stretchy so may need to be adjusted after wearing a bit. I have one. It has been invaluable once I got the hang of it! There are also wraps of less stretchy material, I plan on upgrading to one for the summer as my particular moby will be too hot. There are lots of youtube videos on how to wrap them...some wrap types are simple others more complicated.

I love the wrap. It is very versatile and grows with you. I have a mei tai...though it is quick and easy, I didn't find it as versatile.

If there is a store near you that sells different kinds of carriers you can test them out. I just planned on returning if something didn't work out myself.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:30 AM on Mar. 9, 2010

• I vote for a moby-style wrap instead. very versatile, you can nurse in it, and heck, I can still carry my 4 year old in it !
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:25 AM on Mar. 9, 2010

• I agree with the moby wrap, I could NOT live without one. They are comfortable and easy to use and mine kept me perfectly hidden while my son nursed. I used mine until the boys were about 1 year, after that they were just too independent to be in it. 4 years?? Wow, I am AMAZED lol!! I can' even pick up my 2-year-old let alone wear his big 'ole butt! But, that's why we call him The Bubba.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 9:39 AM on Mar. 9, 2010

• The is the style for summer I want: http://www.gypsymama.com/shop/breeze.htm

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:50 AM on Mar. 9, 2010

• I had a mayan sling and loved it. While I didn't use it much when he was an infant, it got plenty of use when he was a toddler. We went to Israel when he was 16 months and i carried him many places in it. I literally hiked slot canyons with him in it. It was also a stroller cover if we were on a walk in town.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:28 AM on Mar. 9, 2010

• baby in slingI LOVED them. I had my adult children use them and they liked them as well. I think they are a brilliant idea. You could make one if you wanted to if money is an issue. Our health dept sold them for $5.00 when my grandson was born. I couldn't buy the material that cheap so we bought one from them.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:46 AM on Mar. 9, 2010

• I love both slings and wraps. I still use my slings for my two year old for the hip hold. If your are able to hold your baby, then they are not to heavy for a wrap or sling. It takes a lot of the pressure of your back. I vote yes!! Good Luck
    lillysmama2008

Answer by lillysmama2008 at 10:49 AM on Mar. 9, 2010

• I use a ring sling and love it. They are very secure so no you wont need to hold the baby in it. You can nurse with them in it (though I recommend you try at home first so that you get the hang of it before going out in public). You can find them on sites like www.etsy.com for as little as $30. By the way, my daughter is 15 months old, weighs about 22 lbs and I can still wear her in my sling.
    nicoled02

Answer by nicoled02 at 11:17 AM on Mar. 9, 2010