Is breastfeeding as hard the second time around

I remember breastfeeding being a nightmare the first few weeks with my son. It hurt so bad and my breasts leaked so much and I couldn't sleep because they were so tender and leaky and hard. I nursed for 14 months so I'm hoping it won't be so bad in the beginning next time. I am expecting in July and wonder if anyone else who breastfed for so long has any experience to share with me about the second time nursing.

karina400

Asked by karina400 at 10:22 AM on Mar. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I was able to relax and enjoy it more the second time

Answer by admckenzie at 10:44 AM on Mar. 9, 2010

• The first few weeks are going to be similar to last time. Although, I don't think mine were quite as tender. But you will be overly full, leaky and hard for a few weeks. Wear a good bra. Try to express some milk by hand in a warm shower before bed. It really helps. I personally think that the first few weeks of latching on always stings a bit, and I've done this with 3 children. I can say that nursing children 2 & 3 was much easier.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:44 AM on Mar. 9, 2010

• I am nursing my third now and for me it was much easier with 2 and 3. Like anon :44 said, the first few weeks are crazy but not as tender as the first time around. You will be a pro when you get back into the swing of it!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 11:40 AM on Mar. 9, 2010

• Nursing went MUCH better for me with my second one!! I was so much more relaxed and I knew what to expect. I actually enjoyed nursing and was sad when I stopped. He never got any formula. With my first one, I was so nervous and didn't have enough confidence in my ability so I made the mistake of supplementing, which caused a vicious cycle of not being able to keep up my supply. I can almost guarantee you that this time will be easier because you will know what to expect. I was freaked out with my first one when my milk came in, I wasn't expecting my boobs to be that big, and I had a hard time getting him latched. With my second, within 10 minutes after he was born, I had him latched on and he was nursing like a champ. When my milk came in, I wasn't as uncomfortable because I knew what it would be like. Congratulations!! Just try and relax and it'll be okay!!
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 11:55 AM on Mar. 9, 2010

• The 2nd time was worse for me, 3rd was worse yet. Only the 4th was easier.
    Anonymous

• I remeber my 1st it was hard i even though of giving up b/c of the pain "i was in pain for the 1st month". 2nd my milk didnt come in untill the 3rd day after my c-section. It wasn't as pain full. my breast were tender for the 1st week but, after that it was super easy. I think because i knew what to expect. I nurse my 1st for 15months.
    you will do fine if you did it for that long w/ur 1st dont worry.
    Bless2haveU

Answer by Bless2haveU at 12:35 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• The 2nd and 3rd times were much easier for me. I bfed my first for 15 months and it was much easier with my 2nd - hardly hurt at all! My 4th was harder, for some reason he had a hard time latching, but it didn't hurt.

Answer by missanc at 12:36 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• the second time was harder for me than the first. Everyone is different as you can see here, GL to you.
    Apr1l

Answer by Apr1l at 12:51 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• For me the second time was still a little hard the first week or so, but not as bad as with my first. I think I was more confident and because it was my second time I didnt have a bunch of nurses coming in poking at my breasts every few minutes and telling me I was doing it wrong (even though the last nurse said it was right!) lol
    nicoled02

Answer by nicoled02 at 1:19 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• It depends. I feel that I was more determined the second time, and wouldn't let anything stop me. I did have a bit of trouble the first week or so, but nothing crazy. The pain wasn't nearly as bad. BUT everyone, and every baby is different.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:50 PM on Mar. 9, 2010