Do you think my daughter will forget her daddy?

My husband has been in basic training since Feb. 10th. We wont get to see him until his graduation April 23. Once he's done with that he goes to AIT but we'll get to see him on the weekends. What I've been worrying about is will my daughter forget who her dad is. Shes 19 months. I show her pics of him everyday and she says "dad". But when she sees him April 23rd I wonder how she'll react. Any military moms out there?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:28 AM on Mar. 9, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Children know their parents voices, touch, smell and many other things. Just keep showing pictures, let her hear his voice and keep saying "daddy."
    NewJoyOn1308

Answer by NewJoyOn1308 at 10:53 AM on Mar. 9, 2010

• I dont think she'll forget him, but it might take her a little time to readjust to him being around. My husband deploys a lot and it always takes my kids a couple days to be comfortable with him again even though they know he's Daddy when they're that young. Now that my son is 4 we dont have that issue anymore.
    nicoled02

Answer by nicoled02 at 11:03 AM on Mar. 9, 2010

• omg more power to you and him and god bless you guys i know its hard having ur hubby away all the time .but anyway i dont think your dd will forget him ..make sure you keep talking about hima nd showing her pics .she mite act a lil funny when she first sees him but she will always know who her dad is
    britme1027

Answer by britme1027 at 11:35 AM on Mar. 9, 2010

• My husband had to leave for Iraq when our daughter was less than two months old. When he came home for his R&R, she was almost 11 months old. They bonded during the two weeks he was home, and she was looking for "dada" as soon as he left. When he came home again when she was about 14 months old, she still knew who he was and stuck to him like a little leech.
    kittyhasclaws

Answer by kittyhasclaws at 11:51 AM on Mar. 9, 2010

• My son was very young when My DH left for basic. I just constantly showed him pictures, my husband wrote him a couple letters. Yea he couldn't read it, but I just read it to him, told him daddy says this and that. When he called I was sure to put my DS on the phone. He was so thrilled to see his daddy at the airport when we finally got to see him!
    Anonymous

• DH was deployed from the time dd was 8 months to 23 months. She still knew her daddy when he came home 15 mos later! Show her pictures, let her hear his voice EVERY time you hear from him. While basic and AIT is hard, dh's deployment to Iraq was the worst!!! DH wouldn't talk to dd because he figured she still wouldn't know... so I always put him on speaker phone whenever he called. The day he got back, she knew EXACTLY who he was, she wasn't scared or anything. In fact, she wouldn't let him go! However, for a few weeks she thought he was still leaving again so she'd always cry after he went to work. He will remember, he is MUCH older than dd was and just keep showing pics!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 3:13 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• sorry, SHE will remember!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 3:15 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• My son was just over a year when we went to see my husband graduated from basic training... He remembered him! I had 12 different pictures of my husband laminated so my son could take him where ever he wanted, even in the bath tub! Just remember when you go see your husband not to force her to go see him because the uniform and new haircut might make her wonder, but she'll warm up to him fast!
    Amanda704

Answer by Amanda704 at 7:35 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• My husband first deployed when my daughter was 2 mos. Of course she didn't really know the difference at that age, but I still showed her pictures every day and made SURE her first word was "Dada". But he deploys again in June and she will be 14 mos then. She KNOWS who her daddy is, but she is so friendly and loves everyone, that I don't think she will "miss" him, and once he comes back home, she will just pick right back up as if nothing ever changed. I have friends who have kids who are 2-3 and their DH's were gone with mine. They just made sure they got to talk to Dad every time he called and my one friend even had a "Daddy Doll" made. It was a little stuffed doll about 12" tall and it was pretty much just a full body pic of "Daddy" in his uniform and they had a recording done so when he was squeezed the doll would say different things. I think you're doing a great job and I'm sure everything will be great when she sees him
    MadisonsMom0408

Answer by MadisonsMom0408 at 12:48 AM on Mar. 11, 2010