Is is possiable to breastfeed only using a pump?

I like the good benifits that come from breastfeeding. But i only wanted to ues the pump.

AshM2010

Asked by AshM2010 at 10:43 AM on Mar. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sure, if that's what you want to do. You are in control.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:43 AM on Mar. 9, 2010

• yes, it is possible, but it is SIGNIFICANTLY more difficult than nursing, as you will need to pump every 3 hours or so to maintain your supply, and pumps are not as effective as a baby for extracting milk
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 10:44 AM on Mar. 9, 2010

• Absolutely. Working mothers have been doing so for a long time. It takes more work and you really need to stick with a schedule, but it is doable.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 10:44 AM on Mar. 9, 2010

• As a mom who worked and breastfed, I only pumped while I was at work and my DS only got bottles while I was at work, while I was with him he always nursed directly from the breast
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 10:49 AM on Mar. 9, 2010

• yup. often working mother have no choice but to do that. Breast milk is still just as nutritional from a pump as it is if the baby got it directly from you. My first born had a very hard time latching and It was very frustrating and painful for me. I finally had to just buy a pump b/c I was so backed up from him not taking to me properly. Once I started pumping, I felt so much better and my baby was getting the milk he needed. I am pregnant with our 2cd and I think I might try the nursing to see if this baby takes to it any better but if not. I wont stress it. I will go straight to pumping
    Super09Mom

Answer by Super09Mom at 10:49 AM on Mar. 9, 2010

• It wasn't possible for me. I was not able to get much milk from pumping but my both my son's seemed to do just fine so I just gave up on the pump.
    Kimposible

Answer by Kimposible at 11:07 AM on Mar. 9, 2010

• It's possible, but it can be difficult for some. Some mothers just don't respond well to the pump and can only get a good milk supply if they have their baby on the breast. My cousin breastfed just using the pump for 6 months and she took Fenugreek to increase her milk supply. After 6 months of just pumping though, it got to be too cumbersome for her and she switched to formula.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 11:51 AM on Mar. 9, 2010

• I pump during the day because I do like to know how much my baby is actually getting, but during the night I just pull her in bed with me and nurse her until she falls back asleep which is a lot easier.
    BryanasMommy

Answer by BryanasMommy at 11:55 AM on Mar. 9, 2010

• Yeah you can do it but your chances of success are less than with nursing. If your reasoning is because you think its sexual or gross these are both unnatural feelings and seeing a therapist may help. Plus cleaning pumps and bottles all day really sucks..but it can be done if you apply yourself..just don't be too disappointed if the stress starts effecting your quality of life and its time to switch to FF. There will be an LC in the hospital who will talk you through things. Make sure you get a good pump and buy extra pieces at the pumps website so you're not always cleaning.

Anonymous

• It's possible but it's a LOT of work. Three hour pump intervals actually may not be enough...two hours is often more like it. And that's around the clock. You miss out on the benefit of sleeping more when baby finally starts sleeping more.

Seek out piwife...she pumped exclusively for ten months and will give you the straight scoop. I believe there's also a pumping group here.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:04 PM on Mar. 9, 2010