does anyone else miss eating a meal in peace?

i have a 23 month old and every single time i try to eat something he wants it. i don't mind sharing, but if he has HIS snack and i have MY snack i just feel like he has to deal and eat HIS snack. I don't mind putting things in a big bowl and "sharing" but sometimes, like with cheese sticks, its just not convenient to do that! So when's a good time to start teaching kids that sometimes they can't eat everything they want when they want it? And how do I go it? SUGGESTIONS PLEASE! I just want to eat my cup of pineapples without people reaching for it and yelling "Mine!"

metalhealthmama

Asked by metalhealthmama at 11:17 AM on Mar. 9, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Oh I so remember those days, I even ended up in tears a few times because i was so hungry and could not eat with out a baby wanting my food or crying for me. Finally Dh had had enough and put an end to it, he would take baby to another room so i could eat in peace.

When he wasnt home I put baby in the high chair gave them a snack and ate my food, it finally worked out but for awhile i was going nuts.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 11:26 AM on Mar. 9, 2010

• Just give him the same snack you're eating or just don't snack the same time he does.

Parenting is a selfishless act and it didn't brother me one bit.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:33 AM on Mar. 9, 2010

• it dont stop either cause my 7 yr old does the same thing what ever i eat she wants it then i got the baby running around trying to get my food to .lol
    britme1027

Answer by britme1027 at 11:33 AM on Mar. 9, 2010

• Could not disagree with anon more. Kids do not deserve everything the desire, that is how you breed spoiled brats. Life has disappointments, and at that age they can understand that they can not always have what they want. The sooner they learn that, the better it is for everyone. THAT is the reason I can go grocery shopping by myself with 3 kids and not have one single scene. They know that they will get what is on the list, no more, no less.

I know how frustrating it is, but ride it out. In a few months everything will change again, and you will have new challenges to confront.
    I don't believe I have had a moments peace in 9 years, but I know that it is ever changing, ever shifting as they learn- Just remember that this too shall pass. You're the momma, you make the rules, stick with it and you will come up on top. Just simply tell him that it is NOT his, in a nice tone, and do not give in. That is all. :)
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:43 AM on Mar. 9, 2010

• That's why I snack when my kids are napping, or after they're in bed for the night. You're a parent now, there is no having your own snack when they're around. Thinking you can have one thing while giving your kids another is kind of selfish IMO. Imagine 4 kids piling over you for your snack...you'll learn. I either buy my snack when I'm shopping alone, so it's gone by the time I get home, or I eat it when they're in bed. That's just how it has to work anymore.
    Anonymous

• YEEESSS!
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 12:22 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• frustrating as hell! especially when you've gone without eating all day, b/c you've been doing mommy stuff and havent had time- worrying about making sure everybody else is ok. i get so annoyed when im going to sit down to eat my meal, im STARVING, and the kids are up my butt to take my food when they've had every last one of their meals and snacks
    Anonymous

• I don't see why its SELFISH to eat a cup of pineapples and give my son a cup of peaches...sorry. What's wrong with teaching the kid he can't have everything that everyone else has. I mean, isn't it better that I teach him than that he go to say daycare or something and start demanding he get everyone else's food?
    metalhealthmama

Answer by metalhealthmama at 1:48 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• I totally hear where you are coming from. I think you just need to say, "No, honey, this is Mommy's and that is Baby's" in a firm tone and stick to it. Obviously, expect some protests at first but he will get used to it. I don't think it is selfish in this instance at all, as others have said. Now if you were eating cookies in front of his face while you tried to get him to eat his fruit that would be a different story and kind of selfish, not to mention asking for trouble. But wanting to eat your own food is reasonable and he will have to learn he can't have what someone else is eating just because he wants it. Best for you to teach him.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 2:12 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• well if he wants what you're having, then make enough of yours for 2.

its simple as that.

teach him some table manners, please and thank you. teach that you do not demand - but you ask politely.

give him an empty plate, and let him serve himself what he wants.

Anonymous