Getting Membranes stripped??

Ok I have another Dr. Appointment today. I am almost 39 weeks, last week i was dilated to a 2+cm 90% effaced. I have heard of people getting their membrane stripped and was curious what all they do to do this and if its a good idea or not. opinions please.

staciaw

Asked by staciaw at 11:22 AM on Mar. 9, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Not a good idea. The doctor sticks his finger inside your cervix and makes a circle to loosen the bag of waters and move things along. It does sometimes work and is better than other methods of induction, but shouldn't be done unless you are approaching 42 weeks. Some people say it is uncomfortable. I say it hurt like hell. It caused my waters to break, but labor didn't start. Gotta love that unnecessary c-section! Do yourself a favor, be patient, walk and have a lot of sex.

Anonymous

• i agree that it's not a good idea. i would consider it at 41 weeks plus but not before. there are some risks. you can google it.

your baby will be here soon, be it tomorrow, or a few more weeks. =)
    Anonymous

• I say go for it, I did it with both babies. BUT if you are gonna get it done, don't just go home and take a nap. Go to the mall or something and WALK, and not a walk in the part walk, more like a.."I wanna get this baby out" power walk, and I'd be willing to bet your baby would come :P GL!
    Anonymous

• I've heard mixed reviews. Walking and sex are among the most effective labor inducers, and are good for keeping your body ready for labor.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:54 PM on Mar. 9, 2010