Is anyone else going to be a criminal if the health care bill passes?

DH and I cannot currently afford insurance for ourselves. We are trying to get back to where we can and dh is applying for jobs that offer it but so far, nothing. (he is currently self-employed) If the health care bill passes our financial problems won't change and we still won't be able to afford it. So we may have a huge fine and may have to go to jail. Hopefully things work out and that won't be an issue. But do you think Obama realizes that along with the healthcare bill passing that there may have to be more funding for foster care for all of us middle class that are trying to get by that may end up in jail if we can't afford the health insurance? I am sure dh and I are not the only ones in this boat.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on Mar. 9, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• same here mama
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on Mar. 9, 2010

• I believe that when you do your taxes every year that there will be a charge for not enrolling in Health Care . BUT if you DON'T do your taxes and send in your Federal Tax forms, you will be penalized,fined, whatever. Don't we all file Federal Taxes every year? Yes. Then, the Health Care issue will be included when filing. SImple as that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:45 AM on Mar. 9, 2010

• same here.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on Mar. 9, 2010

• Yep, The IRS will be in charge so it will all be hooked to your tax return. If you can't tell them who you have insurance from they may very well get you and fine you. I think if it isn't paid they may take it from any return you get the next year but if there isn't one you may get tapped for jail. It's not going to be an automatic thing though. They will have to audit these returns just as they audit for taxes. It's all a crap shot.
    They want us to trust them that you will be one of the people entitled to a subsidy but they won't give an income limit. I can't imagine why anyone would roll those dice. They say people who have not been able to get ins. due to health conditions will be able to do so right away. Of course they say nothing about how much it will cost or what it will cover.
    There is no reason anyone should take the risk ofeven hoping the government will come through for them.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 11:56 AM on Mar. 9, 2010

• Yes. And who would try to avoid paying and submitting their Federal Taxes???? Only an idiot.
    Anonymous

• I doubt the health care bill will pass so these quesitons are entirely pointless but no, DH has a job with insurance. I also have a hard time believing most of those who say they can't afford some form of health insurance. Especially when I read that everyone in the house is employed or know that this one has a very nice house and drives a new car and shops at the most expensive stores. They are the only people I know of who are complaining.
    Anonymous

• It is pointless to discuss because YOU doubt it will pass? I guess that makes sense.
    Anonymous

• we are in the same boat can't afford insurance casue all our problems are pre-exisitng and they want too much a month to insure us
    mom2ryneandsam

Answer by mom2ryneandsam at 12:06 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• IF it passes, it will be challenged in the supreme court and not likely be upheld.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 12:11 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• Many of my self-employed friends are uninsured. They are by no means rich, and most have been hurt rather badly by the recession. They are struggling to keep their heads above water, and there is no unemployment if their businesses go under.

Many of them will become criminals when and if this bill passes.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 12:20 PM on Mar. 9, 2010