What do you think of the plan to require ALL US workers to have a biometric ID card?

Lawmakers working to craft a new comprehensive immigration bill have settled on a way to prevent employers from hiring illegal immigrants: a national biometric identification card all American workers would eventually be required to obtain.

Under the potentially controversial plan still taking shape in the Senate, all legal U.S. workers, including citizens and immigrants, would be issued an ID card with embedded information, such as fingerprints, to tie the card to the worker.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703954904575110124037066854.html#articleTabs%3Darticle

yourspecialkid

Asked by yourspecialkid at 11:29 AM on Mar. 9, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:29 AM on Mar. 9, 2010

• I already know that Virginia put a stop to that in their state.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:36 AM on Mar. 9, 2010

• I think it opens a pandoras box. Just like social security numbers were intended for only implementing your retirement. There would be no end to what the gov't would use them for.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 11:45 AM on Mar. 9, 2010

• I don't see how they think this will prevent employers from paying people under the table like they already do. Employers are already required to have the I-9's...which should prove identity/citizenship.

Personally, I would rather see a push to require more ID at the voting booth...not this type of ID, but you should have to show picture ID. I know some states already require this, but others don't.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:52 AM on Mar. 9, 2010

• I won't work then. This may be the one that separates the Christians. I dunno.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:58 AM on Mar. 9, 2010

• Not for employment, hc, pensions, but for VOTING? LOL- YSK- OH.MY. The 2008 election really affected you.

Anonymous

• All of this bull Americans have to go through because of illegal immigrants and those who hire them.Something should of been done about this A LONG time ago and we would not be hearing about this type of possible law now.Same thing here yourspecialkid we have to show ID before voting that is fine with me.
    Anonymous

I said use picture ID..you know like a drivers license or passport to vote. Elections are full of preventable fraud.

There is no need for this type of id for employment, healthcare or pensions. There are methods of identification already in place. The problem is a lack of enforcement of the law.

You are in serious need of an education if you don't think the 2008 election affected you as well.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 12:34 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• "Can I see your papers please?"

"Heil Obama."

I guess if it was good enough for the Nazis and the Soviets it is good enough for us.

~~Sarcasm intended~~
    Anonymous

• I like this reply from the article.

Anonymous