Crystallized honey--any fix?

I have a jar of honey that has gotten crystallized from sitting in the refrigerator. (Don't ask, I'm married to a moron!) Is there any way to turn it liquid again? I was thinking of heating a bowl of water in the microwave and setting the honey jar in there. Will this work? Is there something else I can do? Should I just throw it away?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:31 AM on Mar. 9, 2010 in Food & Drink

• You have the right idea- heat it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:34 AM on Mar. 9, 2010

• Absolutely! Just heat it up... You got it.

Honey does NOT go bad unless it has had bacteria introduced that causes mold (which is extremely rare, and only happens when dirty utensils are used), it crystallizes over a period of time, but that is it. Make sure that teh jar you keep it in has a tight sealing lid and this will not happen for years.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:36 AM on Mar. 9, 2010

• We heat ours up in a pan of water on the stove to get it back to normal - on really low, because heating it too fast can make it funky too (we've done it before). I hold it ratehr than let it sit, and swirl & turn it slowly but constantly. Yes it takes time but it's worth it!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:56 AM on Mar. 9, 2010

• You can still use it in cooking if it is crystallized. No need to throw it away. Gentle heating in a water bath should work though.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:09 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• You have to set in in a pot of water on the stove on LOW heat. You will have to leave it for awhile. But if you heat it up quickly, it will get liquidy again, but once it cools all that will happen is it will crystalize again. Tell you man not to put honey in the fridge! Hehe. But like I said, just let it sit and it will be fine.... no need to shake or stir. :)
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 12:58 PM on Mar. 9, 2010