Do you think its important to be part of your son's PTA?

Not just PTA but in general being part of the school. Do you help out when you can? Do you know most of the staff there? Do you know what your son is doing in school.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:53 AM on Mar. 9, 2010 in General Parenting

• As an educator, we know which parents are involved. And it matters. I'm sure I'm going to get bashed for saying it, but parent involvement matters to most teachers. Teacher get paid poorly and treated poorly and involved parents are a breath of fresh air. It has an impact on your child's experience in school.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:02 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• 2 of our boys are in elementary school and I keep in touch with their teachers through email... I send extras with them when they are asked to bring things to school. I help out with parties, etc.. I did 6 yrs of PTA with our oldest (7th grade) and gave up on it when he changed schools. I think the way they try to raise money for the school is unrealistic in these tough economic times. Buying cookie dough for 12.00 is not the right way to go about raising funds. I made my case and no one wanted to go in the direction I felt was more realistic.. Getting the community involved, local farmers, etc. They only want to rely on the parents of the children in school.. I know all of the staff at school, a lot of the Moms, and our boys are doing great, I'm very proud of them. I don't feel the need to be a part of the PTA...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:02 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• We don't have a PTA. We have a Mother's Club that I refuse to join because it, by nature, excludes 50% of the parents (there is no alternate group/club for the dad's). I don't volunteer at the school for various reasons (mostly because of their volunteer restrictions and the fact that I have a child at home). That doesn't mean I'm not involved in my kids' schooling. I check homework, help with homework, keep track of their grades, make sure they are at school on time (more then I can say for many kids even the ones whose mothers volunteer all the time).
    It's a small school so I know the people in the office. They recognize me and know which kids are mine. I know the teachers from kindergarten up through 5th grade and they all know which kids belong to me. When my son was sick his teacher sent his homework home with my mid. dd without me even asking.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:20 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• I volunteer about 12.5 hrs a week in my son's school - 10 in his classroom and 2.5 in the library. I also cover lunch 1-2 days a month, parties, and chaperon field trips. However, I chose not to join the PTA, and I'm not the grade parent. I found it to be a waste of my time to be in PTA - only meetings about doing things, minimal volunteer (and only for special fund raising events), and fund-raising. But going to the specific area to set up volunteer time was worth it to the teachers and myself. I think it's important to be involved in your child's education, but you don't have to be in the classroom to do it. As MrsLeftlane mentioned, communication with your child's teacher is very important. I volunteer because I like it and I can fit it into my day. As a side note, I'm a single parent with a full-time day job. Just be aware that your volunteer time is spent differently for each teacher. You won't necessarily be (cont)
    kitkabob

Answer by kitkabob at 12:28 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• I think you should be involved, but I often think that there are more effective uses of your times then listening to a bunch of parents argue - like volunteering to help at school activities and the like.
    Anonymous

• I think you should be involved - I don't think that necessarily means you need to be involved in the PTA. Our PTA meets at a time I simply can't get to on a regular basis. It's more clique-ish than they think. It's not as involved with the "T" part of their name as they think it is. However, I am very involved at the classroom level. My DD's teacher and I are almost regular email pen-pals. LOL! I go into the classroom to help out whenever her teacher needs an extra set of hands. She also knows if I can't make it in a particular day, my mom or dad can and will. My son's teacher and I are also in regular contact. She too knows we're hands-on parents that believe education is a partnership. I know the principal - both through school and as a GS leader meeting in his school. I have a good relationship with the staff nurses too - DD has food allergies so I work closely with the nurses. I didn't need the PTA to do this.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 12:33 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• (cont) spending all your time with your child in the classroom. And for older children who change classes, you may still not be aware of how they spend their class time as you're not in that classroom. Right now I grade papers, help with reading groups, make copies, shelve books. In the past I did bulletin boards, tutored, did inventory, helped with science.

Most of the teacher's assistants were cut in our county, so if you can volunteer, the teachers are usually very grateful.
    kitkabob

Answer by kitkabob at 12:37 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• I think that it is imp. to be involved in whatever way you can. My children go to before AND after school care (I start work at 7:15 and don't get out undil 3 -- if they are no meeting or I don't have tutoring that day)
    HOWEVER, the teacher knows me, I comm. through e-mails, I come to their events, I send presents/paper/wipes whatever... and I try to do what I can.
    Do I volunteer, do I know staff by name... NO, I'm at work... BUT that does not mean that I'm not involved.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 1:44 PM on Mar. 9, 2010