What do you do when a stanger touches your baby/child?

Also what do you wish you could do if you had the guts, or legal lol.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:00 PM on Mar. 9, 2010 in General Parenting

• i hate when strangers touch my son. People always try to pat his head or pinch his cheeks. im not nice about it,i tell them once dont touch my kid & move him away. Its gross you dont know where there hands have been. Especially the old people.. its nasty ew. i want to go wash my hands now..

To really get your point across you just have to reach out and pinch the strangers cheeks and say so are you. Its the only way they will recognize the invasion of space. I always think about doing this but never do...one day I will. Most of the time a mentally slap myself to stop being so uptight....but I'm not the only one my DH is worse. He gets so mad. He says he would never touch a strangers child and he just doesn't understand how people can't see it might make others uncomfortable.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 12:46 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• I say..."Please do not touch my baby." and then I walk away. It really isn't that hard to do.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:03 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• I don't really mind. Elderly people LOVE babies, and I love that my children are able to put a smile on their faces. They usually don't touch...and if anything...its just putting their hand out for the baby to grab if they please. I'm not a germophobe, so I don't really mind. Although it does get annoying sometimes, when we're in a rush, and you have a million people stopping you to tell you, "Oh, you're kids are beautiful." NO KIDDING, I KNOW THEY ARE GREAT, THANKS! lol.
    Anonymous

• I don't really mind. Elderly people LOVE babies, and I love that my children are able to put a smile on their faces. They usually don't touch...and if anything...its just putting their hand out for the baby to grab if they please. I'm not a germophobe, so I don't really mind.

I agree with this person.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 12:06 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• I move my child away a little and if that doesn't get the point across, I tell them not to touch my child. The only people I don't really have a problem with are the elderly. But then again most of those don't just run up and start touching either. It's people around our age or younger. I feel like that is rude on more than one level.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 12:15 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• Doesn't usually bother me unless they are being intrusive like interrupting us at dinner or pushing between me and the child. Stuff like that. I find it rude but it rarely ever happens so I don't fret about it.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:15 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

Anonymous

• guess it depends. if a kid comes up and just does a touch of the cheek or not then it's not a big deal.

Anonymous

• I'll never understand why this topic is forever upsetting people. If an older child, an adult, and so on and forth was to attempt to kiss my child or pick my child up, or take him by the hand and guide him elsewhere, I would be upset. But a simple pat on the head... or another small child coming up and taking my son by the hands just because he/she is too little to know any better... touching an infant's hand... those things do not bother me. Just carry wipes at all times, and have hand sanitizer on hand all the time during the newborn stage.
    Anonymous

• I have a first-hand scenario. The townfolk in the little town of Lambert, MT, had a gettogether for a karaoke night. My DH, DS, dad, brother, and brother's friend went to enjoy. There's probably only 50ppl in town, and 30 of them or so were there. We were relatively new, and didn't know everyone... during one song, a woman I didn't know squatted down in front of my DS (about 7mos at the time, just standing with help) and held his fingers to "dance". This was fine.

Later in the evening, DH, dad, brother, and brother's friend were on the microphones, singing. We were all having a blast, and DS had found a book to play with on the floor. The same strange woman came over, scooped up my son, and took him out into the middle of the room to "dance." I was frozen solid. I couldn't move. DH walked over to the woman, took our DS, and told her if she ever laid another hand on our DS he would make sure she wouldn't enjoy it.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 1:44 PM on Mar. 9, 2010