Do you teach your children Stranger Danager?

Do you want them to know its not safe to talk to strangers? Or do you think its not that serious?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:03 PM on Mar. 9, 2010 in General Parenting

• Yes, but more importantly, about good touch/bad touch.
    Ann_Ony_Mouse

Answer by Ann_Ony_Mouse at 12:20 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• Yes,of course we teach the dangers of strangers,as well as what to do in certain situations.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 12:09 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• My daughter is 2 1/2. She's a very shy girl as of right now. She's afraid of strangers. You should have seen her on halloween night...it was a PROJECT to get her to take ANY candy...I suppose it's a good thing. Right now, I have nothing to worry about because she's so shy, that and she's ALWAYS with me. But sure...when her and her brother are older....I will teach them about strangers.
    michellelee3708

Answer by michellelee3708 at 12:09 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• Not the way people think of it: all strangers are potential kidnappers and must be avoided at all costs. That's silly, not true and counter productive.
    I teach them that strangers, for the most part, are just normal people that are friendly and caring but they have to be wary because there is always that one person that is up to no good.
    They can talk to any stranger they want but they should never go with a stranger anywhere and if they ever feel uncomfortable it is okay to scream no and run away and, of course, tell me or someone else about it.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:14 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• I'm trying. My DD is very friendly, and I don't necessarily want to discourage that, but I also want her to be safe at any cost. If anyone has suggestions, I'm willing to hear them.
    Anonymous

• yes, and the story went a bit ironically.

told her the term stranger danger, made sure she understood that a stranger is anyone you don't know- VERY important part! - such as 'when you don't know their name they are a stranger' - told her to never go in a car or anywhere else with a stranger because 'not everyone is nice.' - even if they say 'it's OK, your mommy or daddy said it was fine.'

then later when she was told to go with the substitute sunday school teacher she said 'but I don't know his name!'
    and when she was told to get in the car of a woman that was to take her for the afternoon that she hadn't met yet, she refused and had a melt down-

guess it shows that kids listen more than we give them credit for and can often show more common sense than us!

Anonymous

• Yes I do. I think it's important for them to know. As well as what to do in certain situations, what good touch/bad touch are, etc...
    nicoled02

Answer by nicoled02 at 1:15 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• Yes and my son knows about "sexual predators" too. He says to me "Mom I can't go by myself because there are sexual predators out there right?"
    Anonymous