Lice?

My son brought home a note that he's been exposed to head lice. The nurse at school checked each student exposed yesterday and will check again in a few days. At the moment there's no indication DS has been infected. We need to keep an eye out at home. However, I'm not sure really what I'm looking for. DS is 7 and has read the note the school sent home. He's itching his scalp at the mere mention of "lice." LOL! I'm not convinced watching him for scratching is a useful tip. :) When we look at his scalp - what exactly AM I looking for? what would cue us in?

His hair was recently cut and is fairly short. I know this should make it easier for us to look him over. Any other input?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:20 PM on Mar. 9, 2010 in Kids' Health

• You might go ahead and give him a treatment JUST IN CASE and wash his sheets and any hats he has worn in the last few days. The nits are the hard things to spot. The lice is generally going to look like a black dot surrounded by a clear filmy outer body. You will know it when you see it.
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 12:22 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• your looking for little tiny bugs, they kinda look like hair spray flakes, but they move. If you and the nurse have checked hima nd haven't seen anything, he's probably fine.
    Anonymous

• Little bugs and things on his scalp near the roots of the hair. The things are eggs. They are sort of oval in shape. In short hair, you'd be able to see them easily.
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 12:23 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• you also need to pull the nits out...they will be right at the scalp and are small, sticky white eggs...sometimes the medicine doesn't kill them completely. make sure to get ALL the nits out
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 12:31 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• Thanks moms!

It's been 'fun' trying to explain to him how people get lice. I know it's not "just a dirty" thing. You know? I told him he can help avoid getting it if he does not share hats, keeps his hair clean, etc. ..but made sure to stress it doesn't mean the infected child is dirty or anything bad. It just is what it is.

Anonymous