if you won a million dollars could you give the whole thing to charity?

i asked this question in a group I belong to(what would be the first thing you would buy if you won a million dollars )?a lady proceeded to tell me she would donate the WHOLE amount to charity.would you? of coarse i would help some people but not all of it...wwyd?

stacy1403

Asked by stacy1403 at 12:30 PM on Mar. 9, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Hell No. I don't trust most charities to not pilfer most of it with administrative fees and not actually help the people they're supposed to.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 12:37 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• hell no...i'm poor enough....but most organizations, hospitals, shelters don't even see the money that is donated to them...charities are scams that benefit everyone except the ppl they're supposed to help....ppl will donate as a tax write off, celebrities donate pennies to boost their career....real philanthropy is actually going to these ppl in need and helping them hands on, face to face....thats what i would do
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 12:43 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• I could. But my husband would be duct taping me to a chair to prevent it. LOL
    Anonymous

• I would absolutely NOT donate it to charity. I would pay off my parents house. Buy a house of my own. And a new car. Anything left I would buy new clothes and toys for the kids.
    Anonymous

• I could BUT I don't think I would give it to an organization. I think it would be much more fun to just be charitable directly to the people I know need it. Why pay the middleman? And I wouldn't tell them it's me either.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 1:07 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• no
    Tummysmomma

Answer by Tummysmomma at 1:54 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• Charity begans at home. good

Anonymous

• I would donate some..but not to a charity. I would give it to individuals and give a large chunk to a Christian school near me thats just starting. But I would also keep some to pay off some bills and put money back for my kid(and future kids).
    nsrush83

Answer by nsrush83 at 2:28 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• nope. but i would donate some....but not all...im 27 yrs old, a single mom, living in my parents basement suite...so yaa, i would get my own place, make sure my parents are financially secure, pay off my bills, which has no end in sight right now, so yaa, i couldnt afford to donate all to charity
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 2:40 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• There's only 2 organizations I would donate to...Kidd's Kids and NOCIRC. (Kidd's Kids sends chronically and terminally ill children AND their families to Disney World...they have ONE person on slaray, and only raise money to send these kids ONE day a year)
    That being said, if i didn't nEED the money, I would donate all of it. but I would like to put away for my boys' college, get debt free, and pay for my bachelor's.
    Aslen

Answer by Aslen at 3:05 PM on Mar. 9, 2010