Can you get a tattoo while pregnant/nursing?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:34 PM on Mar. 9, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Nope. I went with my fiance to get His when i was 21 weeks and asked about me getting another and the.guy said its not the infection you need to worry about, its the shock you are putting your body in that could cause you to pass out and could raise your heart rate so much you could actually miscarry even in late pregnancy. And he said anyone who will tat a pregnant women is not a respectable person or place. I think that was a good answer.
    Keaton_Hazel

Answer by Keaton_Hazel at 3:27 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• not at a reputable shop
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 12:36 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• yes...as long as they are a sterile OSHA certified shop....the myth of getting a tattoo was the risk of infection if done in an unsterile environment...but you won't get an infection from a clean parlor so its safe
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 12:37 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• Well, I would wait. I have several tats and I would like to get more, but I am waiting till after I am done nursing my baby completely. I wouldn't suggest getting one while pregnant. Even if the place is sterile and clean, you could get an infection afterwards. I just wouldn't risk it. Anything that has even a small chance of hurting the baby is not worth it at all. I just couldn't live with myself if I knew I did something to hurt or risk hurting my baby. Plus when you are pregnant your body reacts to things differently. You may get an infection or allergic reaction just from the ink. Like I said, I wouldn't risk it. Tattoos and piercings can always wait.
    crystal1480

Answer by crystal1480 at 12:46 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• i thought you couldnt, thats why they ask on the forms you fill out if your pregnant or have a disease.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 1:01 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• Also it hurts so bad, I know when i got the one on the back of my neck I was shaking and my heart was beating a mile a minute!! Babies can really sense stress and that could harm them as well..But if your only a few weeks pregnant and the shop is sterile I see nothing wrong with it!

Anonymous

• I wouldn't risk it if I were you. Yes, at a reputable shop, you'll probably be fine, but why take the risk? Plus, the ink can't be good to pass on to the baby.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:48 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• I heard that it can be risky too. I would just be safe and wait.
    Sophie4910

Answer by Sophie4910 at 3:35 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• A lot of places won't touch you. And consider WHERE you intend to put it..because the body does change and skin stretches. What was once a nice tattoo could become a disfigured blotch if the "canvas" expands due to weight gain or gets wrinkled down the line.

Look at it this way. The tattoo lasts forever. What's the worst that can happen if you have to wait? You might change your mind? That's not necessarily a bad thing, and certainly better to change your mind BEFORE getting inked rather than after.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:38 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• any reputable shop won't touch you while you're pregnant. Its actually on the waiver they make you fill out they ask if you could be pregnant.
    trevsrockinmom

Answer by trevsrockinmom at 4:06 PM on Mar. 9, 2010