Spanking May Lower Kid's IQs. Do you believe this?

By Serena Gordon
HealthDay Reporter
FRIDAY, Sept. 25, 2009 (HealthDay News) -- The bad news is that youngsters who are spanked might lose IQ points.

The good news is that it appears that children's IQs are on the rise -- and at least one expert believes that part of the reason why is that corporal punishment is falling out of favor in the United States and elsewhere.

That's the view of discipline and domestic violence expert Murray Straus, a professor of sociology and co-director of the Family Research Laboratory at the University of New Hampshire. Straus was scheduled to present the findings from recent research on spanking on Friday at the International Conference on Violence, Abuse and Trauma in San Diego.

The results of a survey of more than 17,000 university students from 32 countries "show that the higher the percent of parents who used corporal punishment, the lower the national average IQ," Straus wrote in his p

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:57 PM on Mar. 9, 2010 in General Parenting

• I do not agree. Both my sister and I were spanked as children. She kept a 4.0 gpa all through high school, and onto college. She just recently got her master's and again with a 4.0. I know I'm not the smartest 20 year old out there, but any of my ignorance isn't because from being spanked as a child.
    momma_marian

Answer by momma_marian at 3:18 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• I don't believe it.I have spanked my 11 yr old and he has a GPA of 4.0. Maybe if spanking is the only form of discipline would lower IQ.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 1:02 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• I dont' think it smacks the child's brain cells right out of them in a literal manner. I think because the self esteem may be lowered as a result of thier spankings that they wouldn't have the confidence to push themselves to learn.
    Anonymous

• LOL
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 1:03 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• "In looking at spanking just in the United States, Straus and a fellow researcher reviewed data on IQ scores from 806 children between 2 and 4 years old and another 704 kids aged 5 to 9. When their IQs were tested again four years later, children in the younger group who were not spanked scored five points higher, on average, than did children who had been spanked. In the group of older children, spanking resulted in an average loss of 2.8 points. "How often parents spanked made a difference," Straus said in a news release from the university. "The more spanking, the slower the development of the child's mental ability. But even small amounts of spanking made a difference."

Anonymous

• And someone just posted a review a few months ago showing that those who were spanked were more successful.

It's all in how the data is massaged - bottom line do what's right for your family
    Anonymous

• I suspect that the less intelligent you are, the more likely you are to spank.
    ddbz

Answer by ddbz at 1:18 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• how's this: NOSENSE.... I was spanked as a kid for doing something I shouldn't-- I Have a Masters in 2 different fields. My kids got spanked growing up- and they turn out just great,1 a teacherw_ a Masters, the other Military Officer w_ a Masters. I think the ones who didn't get a occasional swat on their behind turned out to be the Brats of this age.
    Anonymous

• *NONSENSE*
    Anonymous

• Nope, I don't believe it. I was spanked and I did great throughout school, even recieving the Presidential Academic Fitness Award. My son has recieved the occasional spanking and he is one of the smartest in his class. Maybe if a child is BEATEN on a regular basis, then they would have problems, but I don't think a spank on the butt is going to ruin them.
    Anonymous