I need advice about buying a GPS system

What features do I *need*? There is such a range in prices from $79 - +
I am buying one for our trip to Washington DC and the Outer Banks this summer.
Other than major trips, I don't see us using it very often.
Thanks in advance!

mrsderekjeter

Asked by mrsderekjeter at 1:37 PM on Mar. 9, 2010 in Travel

• dont get a tom tom. mine got lost more than i did!
    mrsjosey1018200

Answer by mrsjosey1018200 at 4:04 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• We have a Magellan  and are very happy with.  I recommend you get one that has a voice feature because you don't have to keep looking at it.

If you don't think you will use it often, you're deluded lol.  That's what we though but we have a lot of fun with it.  My dh uses it in our own neighbourhood because he likes to turn in a different direction to make it re-calibrate lol.  Also we use it a lot when we visit my mother in Montreal because it is so funny listening to it try to pronounce french lol.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 6:35 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• we have a tom tom and a garmin. my garmin has a much better visual on the screen and is easier to operate. the tom tom is much more accurate and had more features for the same price $149.00. I like the Garmin, my husband likes the tomtom. We use the GPS all the time and will be soon getting a company phone with GPS on it, which I'm sure we'll also use all the time too.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 7:45 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• i love my Garmin. Voice turns are great then you don't need to look at the screen. Had a Megellan two upgrades later still got me lost leaving the house. Glad when my husband broke it.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 2:09 PM on Mar. 10, 2010

• Thanks everyone!
    mrsderekjeter

Answer by mrsderekjeter at 3:21 PM on Mar. 10, 2010