Who Writes Your Kids’ Textbooks?

The 15 members of the Texas State Board of Education (SBOE) will make key decisions about curriculum - what's in, what's out - and textbook publishers will write books to match those standards. That's because Texas is one of the largest textbook buyers in the world.
Gilbert T. Sewall, Director of the American Textbook Council, believes textbooks that end up in classrooms around the country have been steadily getting worse. "There's no doubt that identity politics have contributed to the decline of textbook quality over the last twenty years," says Sewall. He warns that vocal groups from gender activists to nutritionists have "demanded" their way into curriculum, simply by being the most vocal.
ttp://liveshots.blogs.foxnews.com/2010/03/09/who-writes-your-kids-textbooks/

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:42 PM on Mar. 9, 2010 in

• There was a show on TV (20/20 i think) awhile back with this guy explaining the politics behind what goes into the textbooks. It was very eye opening. But they also showed textbooks that had just wrong information. Wrong dates, wrong places, wrong facts. I homeschool but I use many different textbooks from all kinds of companies. So we might read about a subject in one book and then look it up and compare it to another book. That way if something is wrong or out of line we might be able to catch it. So far I haven't really found anything I find a problem or offensive. But also I would want my daughter to know that just because it's in a textbook doesn't mean it's true. I want her to be able to research things and look for facts. Especially now with the Internet you can't take everything at face value.

BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 1:54 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• well, I have a friend who is a astro physicist amoung other things- IQ of almost 200 and works part time for NASA. He has been called in on several occasions to proof read science textbooks and the like.

particularly when I let it be knows that one of the books that stated how a rainbow is made- he wrote in and let them know that if a rainbow was created just as they were saying, then the colors of the rainbow would be opposite of what they actually are in reality-

so I can personally state that any books that he looks at are in very good hands-

I don't think the whole idea that gender identity be considered means a downfall in quality.
    Anonymous

• bloo and anon thanks for the comments. op
    Anonymous

Next question in
Associates or Bachelors?

Next question overall (Pets)
grrrrrr puppies!!!!!!