Do you put your children on a pedestal?

a co-worker her daughter is a year younger than mine. My daughter is in the first grade (she's 6) and he daughter (She's 5)is in Kindergarten. She brags about her daughter being so smart. She will mention how she speaks perfectly and how smart she is. When the child comes to the office, she's not how mommy makes her out to be. She's always trying to top, when I mention my daughter. Most times I don't anymore, since it's not a contest to me. The office joke is her daughter's attending Harvard at age 6. What's the competition, and why do some mothers placed their children on a pedestal and others don't?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:51 PM on Mar. 9, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• If we don't put our children on a pedestal or brag about them, who will? As long as you're not lying about it. Those who lie about their childs acheivements are obvioulsy trying to make themselves feel better. IMO
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 2:13 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• Good ole' keeping up with the Jones'. They do it out of their own insecurity and you have to ignore it.
    anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 1:53 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• I catch myself bragging every once in a while about my daughter, but I never embellish. Usually when I catch myself I stop what I am saying and ask about the other persons child. I think I do it because I am just so proud of her and I want the best for her. I want her to feel proud and have others be proud of her as well. That may sound dumb but I think that is why I end up doing it. I try my hardest not too but sometimes it just happens. If I could I would talk about my daughter 24/7, she is the light of my life. I realize though people don't want to hear just about her so I am teaching myself to back off a bit when it comes to talking about her.
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 1:55 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• Yes, imamommmmyyy! But, do you make up stories that aren't true? When someone see your child and you say my daughter can read a book that's for a second grader and you see the child with books that are not second grade material, what do you say? You can be proud of your child, but lie and make up stories, why do that?. I don't want that hear it,  I want you to be honest, I'm not lying to you about my daughter.  It's not a competition or a contest.  It's fine that you are proud of your child and I respect that, but why lie?  : anetrnlov, says it right. 

Anonymous

• ANON 2:00- I said I don't embellish. Embellish means to say something beyond what is true. I don't ever say she can do something that she can't. That is the first thing I wrote, I'm not a liar, plus if I did lie people would notice when they saw my daughter so it would be pointless. Please read a little better before attacking me next time.
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 2:06 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• Busylovinghim, I understand and nothing wrong with being proud of your child. But, the question is why would a parent lie about it? I use to know someone that's son was brillant. At age two he was reading, knew how to use the computer and his parents had to remove any books at home that were work related since he would read the whole book. I was truly amazed by this child and he was truly gifted. He didn't speak as a baby either. I was amazed. But, that happens when you tell people your child is brillant and is in top honors at school and when you meet this amazing child and the child hardly speaks. What's wrong? Why is Mom and/or Dad making this child out to be amazing? I love my daughter I'm proud of her each day. But, I don't go around and make stories about her. I don't see the need to.
    Anonymous

• Imamommmmyyy, sorry but I wasn't attacking!! I'm not saying your a liar!! I was writing not about what you said but maybe for you to help me understand why some mothers do it. I'm tying to understand and you wrote something. I read what you wrote but, didn't mean to take it and mix up your words. It's more of why some parents do, it wasn't an attack on your or me calling you names. I can understand we all are proud of our children. But, for me it's an understand of why some parents put their child on a pedastal and others dont.
    Anonymous

• anetrnlov and mamaada, I like your answers the best!!
    Anonymous

• nope.

I'm realistic about what I tell people my kids can do.

its just one of those "MOMMY" superiority things. always trying to outdo each other on the wonderfulness of our children.

mine are smart, athletic, and polite but definitely not little paragons of perfection.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 3:08 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• hypermamaz, it must be one of the "mommy" superiority things. I just find it weird, especially when you hear greatness about a child and when you meet the child, it's like. where's this super child you were speaking about. LOL!!! I guess it put the co-worker in a spot.
    Anonymous