I took my 9 month old daughter in to the doctor today for her check-up and the doctor said we should start trying to get her to drink from a cup and I just don't even know where to begin to help her.

If I give her the cup she just dumps it out and tries to chew on the cup itself. If I try to give it to her she spits out the liquid inside no matter what it is. I don't know if I just need more patience or what to do to help her learn.

allialexa

Asked by allialexa at 1:55 PM on Mar. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Pretty sure he was talking about a sippy cup. I would get this one
    Photobucket
    It is soft and does not spill. I would give it to her with the valve in and after a while once she figures it out I would take the valve out.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:59 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• He probably meant sippy cup. I don't know any 9 month old that can drink from an actual cup. A lot of doctors refer to sippy's as just cups. This is usually the time sippy's are introduced. Try one with a soft rubber top that is spill proof, my daughter loves the Munchkin grip sippy's. The soft top will help with the adjustment. Slowly introduce a sippy once a day, maybe when you give her juice. Then as she moves closer to her first birthday make it twice a day, then three times,and so on. This way the one year adjustment won't be so tough. Good luck!
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 1:59 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• Just let her play. That's how babies learn.

Honestly, if the reason to give a cup has to do with bottle-mouth from formula, then all you really need to do is not let her sleep with a bottle or only give her water in a night bottle. If she's hungry, you would get up feed her and take the bottle away when she is done. That way you can take the pressure off and just let her explore the cup and learn through play.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:59 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• Nine month olds can learn to use a cup.

I personally don't like sippy's; you can never get those spout holes clean. An alternative is the cups with fat straws rather than spouts.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 2:00 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• isn't 9 months kind of young even for a sippy cup? maybe not for all kids, but most kinds I knew still used a bottle at around a year- then sippies in the following months.

You can give a sippy a try, but I wouldn't worry about it too much. I don't think her taking time to learn how to drink out of a sippy cup will keep her out of Harvard when the time comes.
    Anonymous

• Just offer her a sippy cup. She'll probably just play with it at first. Does she eat solids? If so, I'd suggest offering 2-3 oz of water in a sippy with solid meals.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:54 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• Don't stress it....it's still early - it's not like she NEEDS to know how to drink from a cup! Just give her one to play around with and get familiar with and when you have the time/patience try to show her how it works. Your doc may have meant sippy cup but I know a lot of kids who just went straight to a cup. Obviously there will be many spills ahead for you so definitely don't put much in it!
    I have a 9 month old and my doc told me at her 6 month check up that if I wanted to put an ounce or two of water in a sippy and give it to her she might figure it out...three months later she still hasn't. I give her water in her bottle sometimes when she's constipated...I'm considering giving her an ounce or two with each meal because she seems to get constipated lately...anyway, definitely don't feel rushed - she will get the hang of it when she's ready. Good Luck!! :)
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 7:56 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• My g'daughters pediactric doctor told me to start introducing her to sippy cup at 6 months. She said water nothing sweet. She wa 8 months old yesterday and still uses it as a teether. Oh well, I did get her to suck from a straw.....
    mimilinda

Answer by mimilinda at 9:12 AM on Mar. 10, 2010