Would you buy a puppy for your daughter if you live in an apartment?

I have a 6 yr. old daughter. She has been wanting a puppy really bad. I know initially I will be taking care of the puppy which I don't really mind. Until the puppy is housebroken it will have to stay in crate all day. I do go on just a couple vacations a year but her dad said once it is housebroken it could stay at his house while we are gone. Do you still think that it would be cruel to get a puppy living in an apartment?

MWood123

Asked by MWood123 at 1:56 PM on Mar. 9, 2010 in Pets

• always depends on the breed and how much time you are willing to spend outside with it. Do research on several breeds.
    gonefishin

Answer by gonefishin at 1:59 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• not at all, but it would be cruel to leave the puppy in a crate ALL DAY. poor thing.. but i don't think you meant that literally anyway since you can't exactly potty train a dog if it doesn't get a chance to go out. anywho, we had 2 dogs while living in an apartment. it's do-able. we had to do the potty training while in the apartment also. it takes a little more work to take the dog out to use the bathroom over and over and over, but it can work as long as you don't get lazy after a few weeks. lol. just ask your landlord if it's okay & hopefully you have a patch of grass somewhere within walking distance. i just hope you don't lock the poor thing up all day. if you really believe that it's going to be crated all day, then i think maybe you should wait because those are such sad conditions for a puppy to be in. good luck.
    Anonymous

• Unless your apartment is on the ground floor with some kind of yard, I would not get a puppy. Dogs need time outside, lots of time outside. Unless you are willing to be more out than in I would wait until you have a house with a yard.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:04 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• Yes, I think it would be cruel. I searched craigslist for months before I found the right dog for my family. There are lot's of people trying to find homes for their dogs because they're moving and their new apt. won't allow dogs and many of them end up being put to sleep in shelter's. I don't think anyone should get a pet that they can't provide a forever home for.
    Anonymous

• I would get one. Just make sure it is a small breed and DO NOT lock it up all day. Make sure you take it for plenty of walks and to a dog park every few days. Small dogs work great with apartments because they can run around the house and they don't require a huge yard. Make sure it gets out a few times a day and not just for 2 minutes. Take it for walks around the complex so it can get fresh air. Good luck with your puppy!
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 2:14 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• I really don't agree with the not getting a puppy if you live in an apartment, we have two and live on the 2nd floor and if you get the right breed for your family then by all means get one. We have a papillon and a pomeranian and I take them for two walks every day and they are so happy and healthy and when the rain comes they get their exersise in doors. As long as you get the right dog then by all means get your daughter one ! They also teach responsability and compassion to children. BE AWARE of getting animalis from the shelter do the research yourself don't always listen and trust what they say, we had a bad experience with one and it was a nightmare! Good Luck
    Korysmom96

Answer by Korysmom96 at 2:15 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• Message me if you wanna talk!!!
    Korysmom96

Answer by Korysmom96 at 2:16 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• if you work all day you're saying no its not time for a puppy imo. Instead do volunteer work at a shelter, join a 4H club with arts and crafts, community services, join brownies girls scouts -- moms are always left raising the puppy, the promise to clean only lasts days a couple of weeks at the most.

It's not fair to the dog of any age to be dumped into a different cage for hours on end.

Responsibility of teaching kids when time is not right for something and when its' right.

And I have had animals in an apartment but I was a homemaker and also my apartment was street level so getting out was easy. Think of being in an upper floor apartment as being in Disney World in a hotel room with one bathroom, hubby's in the bathroom and dd has to GO NOW> AND YOU have to get your kid down five flights of steps to the public restroom in the lobby!!!! AND dogs don't wear diapers so their peepo will leave a trail up and down!!!!!!
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 2:27 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• as long as you take the pup outside it should be fine. I live in an apartment and if I could afford it I would get one in a heart beat.
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 3:14 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• i have a pomerianian (sp) and i live in an apartment, shes a puppy, so far so good, on weekend we go to my moms and she has a huge yard where she can run and play, she too is in a crate while im at work, just until she has the potty pad thing down, hopefully soon, i think it doesnt matter where you live and if its a puppy how would it know any different?
    xxSummaxx13

Answer by xxSummaxx13 at 3:21 PM on Mar. 9, 2010