How can I incease the production of beastmilk?

I use to be able to produce 4 to 5 ounces in one feeding easily and now I'm lucky to get less than an ounce. What could be wrong with me?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:00 PM on Mar. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Nothing is wrong with you.
    Your supply has regulated to normal levels based upon what the baby needs. You were likely able to pump so much because you had OVERSUPPLY as all women do during the first three months or so, which makes pumping easier.
    If you want more milk than your baby needs, then you have to pump more often and more efficiently. Feed on one side while you pump the other to take advantage of the baby initiated let down; make sure you have a right pump for the amount of milk you need; pump early morning between 4-8am when you produce the most, pump between feeds if you want to encourage more production; MASSAGE the breast to help the pump drain as much milk as possible; also learned to hand express so that you can compensate for what the pump can't get. The more efficiently you drain your breasts the better your excess production will be.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 2:05 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• I can't emphasize enough the importance of learning how to pump efficiently. Watch this video (it's for premies but the techniques are the same!). http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastfeeding/MaxProduction.html

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 2:07 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• I had the same issue. Make sure you breast feed your baby as much as you can and pump once an hour while you are awake. It may sound odd but the more you pump the more you produce. My doctor told me to do this and after 2-3 days I was making more than enough. I pumped for about 10-15 minutes every hour, which seems like a lot but it worked so quickly. Once I had my production up I fed my daughter when she needed to eat and if she let it go more than 2 hours between feedings I pumped a little. Good luck!!
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 2:10 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• Are you exclusively pumping? If you're just nursing, and using the pump to gauge how much you're making, that's wrong. Your pump won't get as much as baby. I need a bit more information here.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:13 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• nothing. i used to pump 16 oz in a sitting and by the time my son was 6 mts i was pumping 6 oz a sitting at 10 mts i was down to 3. are you only pumping?
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 3:01 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• This is what worked for me when I was having supply issues:

Nurse frequently
    Drink lots of water, at least 6 oz every time you nurse and every time you pump
    Have lots of skin-to-skin contact with your baby
    Take brewers yeast tabs
    Look at pictures of your baby while you pump
    Wait at least an hour after nursing to pump.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:39 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• its normal....i drink hot chocalete made with milk and that helps me
    lilangel_4206

Answer by lilangel_4206 at 7:44 PM on Mar. 9, 2010