Do I need a Highchair?

For a family with not so much space which highchair is best.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:23 PM on Mar. 9, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I would recommend having a high chair. It is safer for a child than a booster seat on an adult chair, and it will make feeding the baby easier. We had a metal highchair that folded up, so we only had to unfold it during meals. It didn't take up much space folded. I don't know the brand.

Answer by Bmat at 2:25 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• I have one that attaches to a regular dining room chair. I love it. It doesn't take up any extra space and it was much less expensive than the huge, all-out high chairs. I found that I didn't use it a whole lot until my daughter was closer to a year, before that she mostly sat in my lap or hung out somewhere else while we ate. So I don't think you need to rush into it :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 2:26 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• I prefered having real highchairs because they are more stable. I have seen some now that attach to dining chairs that adjust for infants; they migh be ok, but I'd be afraid of tipping.
    Anonymous

• Here's a link to the one I have, only mine is Whinnie The Pooh themed lol.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Fisher-Price-Space-Saver-High-Chair-and-Booster-My-Little-Eye-Collection/12960801
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 2:28 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• bmat and ati thank you, op
    Anonymous

• I agree that one that goes on a chair is perfect. Our 18 month old uses his all the time, and it's super portable. We even take it to restaurants and to the grandparents' homes. There are tons on the market, and I've never heard a bad review of one. We have the Fisher Price Rainforest one. It comes with toys on the tray that you can remove (there are stickers, so you have to be careful washing it). It wasn't too expensive. Most of the chair ones are pretty cheap, compared to a whole big high chair. Do some research, and figure out what you like. =)
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:41 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• We use a travel high chair for the grandparents' houses and it works pretty well. It's not as high or nice as a regular high chair but it suits the purpose. It's pretty light and it folds so that it doesn't take up a lot of space. I think it's made by Graco. We bought it at Baby's R Us.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 2:45 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• YOU won't need it right away but you will need one. You can get away with feeding baby in your lap for a while but when the time comes that he/she is just to big and it's time to get a highchair he/she should be sitting on their own. At this point you cna get one of those highchairs that strap to a regular chair(17-25 dollars). That's what we did with both kids. Apartments are just not big enough for a table chairs AND a highchair!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:22 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• you won't need one until your child is around 6 months old so put it off as long as you can :)
    Anonymous

• you won't need one until baby is eating - 5-6 months. so you can wait on it, and then test drive in the store - plunk baby in and try the buckles, how it fits etc...

I had a vintage metal one for my first two (tube frame, seat and back with a strap, and the plastic tray), #3 we had a vintage wood one.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 7:28 PM on Mar. 9, 2010