What do/did you do when your toddler won't eat?

My daughters (1 and 2) sometimes won't eat what I give them for breakfast/lunch/dinner. Mostly my 2 yr old, she rarely eats what we put in front of her. We've tried a variety of foods to see what she likes and doesn't and it's not a lot. Sometimes she doesn't eat that. My mother suggested making her something else if she doesn't eat what I give her but I tried that for breakfast and she didn't eat either! It's annoying and very wasteful. What should I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:26 PM on Mar. 9, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My younger daughter tried the same thing. I refused to give into that game. If she didn't eat the meal, it was saved for later when she wanted something to eat. Once she got hungry enough, she would eat. Too many parents "cater" to what the child will or won't eat. This just creates picky eaters and problems in the future. Not a single one of my 4 kids is a picky eater.
    Anonymous

• Ok, that's what I thought! lol My mom told me not to do that but I'm like, if she's hungry she will eat, Thanks
    Anonymous

• My daughter pulled this a week or so ago. She wouldn't eat ANYTHING but popsicles, cookies, cake, etc. I was offering EVERYTHING in the cupboard and she would just cry and tell me she was hungry and wanted a "yellow" (which is what she calls popsicles lol). Finally I stopped offering everything, just two choices and it took a couple of days of her subsisting on a couple of bites here and there and a cup or two of milk before she finally gave in and started eating what was offered. She gets "Do you want a sandwich or yogurt for lunch?" and she picks and eats that. Sometimes I don't offer a choice, she gets what we're eating for dinner or she doesn't get anything. I agree that when they're hungry enough they will eat. It's so hard, and I don't make her eat stuff she doesn't like, but she does have to eat healthy foods, not just yellow! lol.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 2:40 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• If dd doesn't want to eat her food, we save it for later! She doesn't get anything until she eats that meal which I thought was mean at first because she's never been picky before. But we waste too much food to not! And the only thing she doesn't really eat are burgers so we quit getting those because they aren't that healthy anyways! Also, offering two choices instead of everything helps.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 3:35 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• I am going to guess that there are foods that you do not like and will not eat.

We use the 3 bite rule. You must try 3 bites of what is on your plate; if you don't like it, you fix yourself peanut butter and honey on whole grain toast with a kiwi or apple

Answer by rkoloms at 3:37 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• Make sure you have lots of healthy snacks around. Sit the baby up to the table with you at each meal. Make up eating games. She will not eat much at this age, but trust me she will when this stage is over.
    momx3gx1b

Answer by momx3gx1b at 7:31 PM on Mar. 9, 2010