My 1 month old won't stop straining/pushing/kicking... What is wrong??

My son is 1 month old and for the past 2 weeks he has been pushing, grunting, straining, and kicking his little legs like crazy. He does it all night unless I hold him, nurse him, or put him on his swing. I feel like he wants to nurse constantly as a result... almost to get comfort... he does have a lot of gasses, and he has normal soft stools. I have asked his pediatrician and he said its "normal" colic, and it will go away eventually.

Has anyone experienced this?? What is causing this? I don't think its colic because he doesnt cry and scream for hours. I am so confused! This is my first baby, and I am so overwhelmed... Thank you for your advice/suggestions.

mercilove

Asked by mercilove at 2:27 PM on Mar. 9, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Could just be gas. Don't worry about it, just make sure to burp him really well after every time you feed him. You might also try the Mylicon gas drops and see if those help. And if you're supplimenting with formula you can almost guarantee that's the problem.

As for the nursing all the time, also totally normal. Babies have a need to suck that they want met at the breast. It's not always for hunger, and it's good for them. As long as you can still get some rest, it's fine. And if you find you can't get much rest, you could try co-sleeping and see if that helps.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 2:31 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• ~Ati 13~ Thank you for the suggestions.. I am using Mylicon drops... they don't seem to help at all... I also tried gripes water and it calms him down for about an hour. For the past 2 nights my husband has been sleeping in the guest room because the baby doesnt stop fussing all night. I tried cosleeping to get some rest, but he doesnt let me sleep. his straining and grunting keep me up all night.

I was supplementing with Enfamil for fussy/gassy babies formula. I had to stop because LC said that was the problem, so I have been strictly nursing for 1 week and still no change.

do you think this will pass soon? when should i expect him to grow out of this colic/gassy stage?
    mercilove

Answer by mercilove at 2:36 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• may be gas or constipation... try allowing the baby to sleep in his car seat (buckled) sometimes sleeping siting up helps.
    also I would try before bed a tiny bit of infant cereal in his bottle (rice), & a relaxing bath.. this may help him sleep better.
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 2:43 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• It takes 2-3, sometimes even 4 weeks for the dairy proteins to get out of his system (or the soy proteins, if it was soy based), which is usually what causes the problem. Give it another two weeks and then start looking at some other options. Does it only seem to happen at night or is he like this all the time? It's not constipation if his poops are soft, and it's normal for breastfed babies after about a month to poop rarely. So don't worry about constipation.

Do you swaddle him?
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 2:47 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• Forgot to add, it could also be a sensitivity to something you are eating. Dairy is the most likely culprit if that's what it is (but it's definately not a guaranteed). You could go on a dairy-restricted diet for a while (at least 2 weeks) and see if that helps at all. If not, other common problem causers are broccoli, cabbage, eggs, wheat, citrus and soy.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 2:49 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• ~Ati 13~ Yes, I have stopped eating dairy and eggs. My LC told me that it may take a while for the formula to completely pass through his system, so you are right, I am just waiting to see if it gets better. He hates to be swaddled so I stopped doing it. He is fussy all the time day and night, but I notice it more at night. He seems to be a little more at ease during the day, and manages to sleep some. He is sleeping right now in his swing. Thank you for all your help with this.. :)

mercilove

Answer by mercilove at 2:56 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• Hmmm... well, I hope that things work out for you. My daughter was super fussy for the first 5 months. I hope that doesn't happen to you! lol. Sometimes babies are just fussy and no one knows why.

You might give swaddling one more chance. If that doesn't work and being off of formula and having dairy out of your system doesn't work, I dunno what else to tell ya :( Could it maybe be a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance?
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 3:59 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• swaddle
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 4:14 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• Hey, Mama. All the other ladies gave you the same advice I would have. I could add that maybe a pacifier would help satisfy the urge to suck if you haven't tried that, nursing should be well established at this point and it could help you get a break from being the human paci. If it is gas from the formula or your diet hopefully he will get some relief soon. Maybe try laying him on his back and gently working his legs like he is doing the bicycle, that can help get out gas, also tummy time can help work out gas. White noise at night might help him sleep a bit more soundly as well, we used a loud fan. Worst case scenario your little one should outgrow this colicy phase in only a couple of months- I know that seems like an eternity now but it will pass and your days (and nights, more importantly) will get easier. Just hang in there. And don't forget that age old piece of advice for new mommies- sleep when the baby sleeps. GL!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:16 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• Put the baby on your lap with his butt in the air and pat him on the back. It can help move any air in his intestines out. The other thing you can try is laying him in his bed with his legs up against the wall. That may help too. Good luck.
    kerijeanbean

Answer by kerijeanbean at 4:55 PM on Mar. 9, 2010