how do i get my almost 3 year old to poop in the potty?

he has been peeing in the potty on his own at 18 months! he'll be 3 in july & WILL NOT poop in the potty, he asks for a diaper, & now he needs pj bottoms on too. this is a new thing. so now i have to put on a diaper & some sort of pants. how do i get him to go in the toilet? do i wait it out? he's smart enough. he knows he'll get a present & an ice cream cone as soon as he goes in there. any ideas?

bunnypooh

Asked by bunnypooh at 2:30 PM on Mar. 9, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• how do i get my almost 3 yr old to got potty AT ALL, lol?
    Anonymous

• all kids are different just encourage him, but don't put pressure or guilt on him if he goes in his pants. I have my 3 yr in underwear so she can feel when wet or dirty.
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 2:34 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• stop feeding into his wants. dont buy diapers when hes out tell him "im not buying anymore diapers you are going to have to be a big boy and pee AND POO on the potty"
    mrsjosey1018200

Answer by mrsjosey1018200 at 3:36 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• When I potty trained my son, we just stopped using diapers and I put him in underwear, but he was older and ready. There was no option to poop in a diaper. He was hit or miss at first with the pooping and often pooped in his underwear in those first 3-4 weeks even though he consistently peed in the toilet. We also used a reward system like you are doing. Every time he pooped in the toilet he got a little matchbox car.

If you've been putting a diaper on him to poop for a year and a half that's going to be a hard thing to break. I wouldn't cater to any more of his "conditions". I'd be inclined to say "okay, today there are no diapers" and see what happens. Maybe he'll poop in his underwear and maybe he'll go in the toilet. Watch for signs that he needs to poop and see if you can get him to go to the toilet. Also, be careful he doesn't hold it and get constipated. That will make it far worse.
    EmilyandIsaac

Answer by EmilyandIsaac at 7:28 AM on Mar. 10, 2010

• Elmo's Potty Time. I don't know why it works, but it works. Get yourself a set of earplugs, too. After the 7th time in a row, the music starts to drill through your brain.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:21 AM on Mar. 10, 2010