My son is left handed...

Or so it would seem. Hes only two but he favors his left hand for drawing and most other things too. I am right handed and am wondering what challenges I may face in the future in terms of teaching him how to write. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!

skeeterdoo

Asked by skeeterdoo at 2:40 PM on Mar. 9, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I am left handed and I dont rememeber there ever being a problem learning how to write from a right-handed person. i kinda figured out how to hold the pencil on my own(my daughter who is 2 and right-handed figured out how to hold the crayon the right way on her own). the hardest part was tying shoes, i couldn't learn it. I had to have my older cousin who was the only other left handed person in the family teach me how to tie my shoes. All i can suggest is when you are writting with him make sure and sit on his right side so that he has plenty of arm room.
    kanakake

Answer by kanakake at 2:50 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• Good Luck. I am a lefty & all my kids so far or right handed. I have had the worst trouble trying to help them out.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 2:42 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• honestly, I think they teach them selves. I never had to teach my 4 how to write.

They would trace letters and eventually do it on there own...

KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 2:47 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• My sister is a leftie, and she never had problems learning to write or to do other things. All the rest of the family were right handed, so I think maybe you are worrying needlessly.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 2:57 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• I'm a lefty, dd is a righty. I! Just let him do what feels comfortable! While I write left handed, everything else feels more comfortable right handed! Try not to worry about it! He will catch on just as easy and figure it out his way. The only thing I really remember about writing was my teacher told me I was wrong and had to use my other hand. Eventually she gave up.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 3:07 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• You say it as if it is a disability....
    He will be fine.
    Anonymous

• he's not broken.

let him do what he will with whichever hand he wants. I'm a lefty, but do a lot of sports etc right handed because I couldn't figure out the lefty way - or I do both.

my oldest is a lefty, and my other two are righthanded. I have a challenge trying to show the younger two how to do things

but just relax! its nothing really challenging.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 3:11 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• when you teach something, sit across from him, instead of next to him so he can mirror your movements easier.
    mrsjosey1018200

Answer by mrsjosey1018200 at 3:31 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• Don't worry about it. My mom is right handed and my dad is left handed. My older brother is right handed, and I'm left handed. Neither of us had issues with motor skills growing up. Just make sure to treat him the same as you would a right handed kid, and don't try to force him to use his other hand (not that you would, just saying). It can cause coordination and brain issues if a lefty is forced to use their right hand.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 4:21 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• I'm a lefty and so is my son. My mom had no issue teaching me anything. She did say that she always handed the crayon to me to my right hand and I would always move it to my left. That's how she figured I might be a lefty. LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:06 PM on Mar. 9, 2010