How long after you sign up for National guard do they send you off?

like to boot camp or whatever...to train. I know someone (who is a habitual liar) that signed up last Aug. and claimed she was leaving feb. 1st that still hasn't left yet. I'm wondering if she lied or what.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:42 PM on Mar. 9, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• That's possible. It just depends on when they can get into a cycle. When did she go to MEPS? However, I've only seen a few cases where it took that long.
    bxbsmommy

Answer by bxbsmommy at 2:57 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• Also since she is a part of the "new Army" she may be required to do a certain amount of time in the RSP program. I'm not too familiar on how that works though.
    bxbsmommy

Answer by bxbsmommy at 2:58 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• I signed up my senior year. I was supposed to be leaving in June, 2 weeks after my graduation date for May 27th. I didn't leave for boot camp until the 16th of July, so yeah it's possible.
    BlueCollarMama

Answer by BlueCollarMama at 3:14 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• I don't know about the Army, but the Air National Guard can be up to a year. My niece is enlisting this summer..she will be a Senior in high school this fall. She won't go to basic until next summer. She will however still go to the monthly drills.

I think there are probably a lot of different variables.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 4:36 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• It could be a few months. RSP is for the "soldiers" who haven't left yet and want to go to drills. In the national guard a 16 y/o can sign up but, can't go to boot camp until they are 18 and graduated high school. They also have to have an opening for her MOS. My husband used to drill with RSP as their medic. He signed up in May and left in August, this was 10 years ago.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 5:09 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• matthewscandi is a little wrong - you can sign up at 16, yes, but you CAN go to boot camp before turning 18. My brother was 16 when he signed on, with parental approval & signature, in October, but didn't go to boot camp til the following June, when he was 17 - he did have that pesky junior year of high school, after all! He came home, had his senior year of high school, and was off to AIT. So yes, it can be a number of months before going - but this person could also have tried to sign up but was denied or something, or is still awating some tests or who knows what.
    Anonymous

• Yes, signed up in the National Guard at 17.
    bxbsmommy

Answer by bxbsmommy at 7:12 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• anon 5:15 is correct this is what my husband did.
    jhcz

Answer by jhcz at 9:10 PM on Mar. 9, 2010