What does a PR expert does?

Public Relation expert? How do you make one?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:45 PM on Mar. 9, 2010 in Money & Work

• PR requires a command of the English language, and with it, an ability to communicate well in written and oral formats. You need to be able to think like a marketer and tell a story like a reporter. You usually work within an (ad, marketing, or PR) agency or in a department at a company. You would need to identify news worthy items within your company. Once you do so, you'd have to package them into a pitch, press release or other related materials and then contact appropriate media contacts with the information. If you get lucky enough to intrigue a reporter or editor, you'd set up the interview with the appropriate person. Usually you end up sitting in on that interview although you don't get to add much to it. You would coach your client before going. You may also go to trade shows and press junkets. It can be a fun job - but it can also be thankless. Most positions require a college degree.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 3:02 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• FWIW - I've worked in public relations; at agencies, within a company's marketing department and freelance. I got my job because I had a) a degree in communications, b) experience in journalism and c) experience in marketing. .I worked as a reporter and writer for various media outlets prior to working in PR. I also worked within a marketing department prior. In addition to the other things I shared already, you need to be able to learn fast, think fast on your feet and multi-task. You spend a lot of time being rejected. :) That's not a fun part. You need to understand what a reporter is looking for before you pitch. As a writer, I can't tell you how many PR reps I tune out after a while because they never really understand what I'm looking for.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 3:10 PM on Mar. 9, 2010