Do you watch old movies with your children?

Last night my daughter (she's 6) and I watched Curly Top with Shirley Temple. Daughter enjoys watching her. I enjoy watching movies I grew up with with my daughter.

happynewyorker

Asked by happynewyorker at 3:00 PM on Mar. 9, 2010 in General Parenting

• yea we do...i especially enjoy watching,the GREMLINS,the Goonies,Wizard of Oz and E.T. with my son...he really likes those movies too. :)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 3:02 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• YES! Mary Poppins is a favorite! Singing In the Rain. My Fair Lady. On the Town. White Christmas...are you noticing a pattern here? *tee hee!*
    Ann_Ony_Mouse

Answer by Ann_Ony_Mouse at 3:02 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• yes we do. however old shows like popeye and tom and jerry or even the old mickey mouse are far to violent for young kids i think.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 3:13 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• I use to watch all the oldies with DS, at one point, his favorite movie was Treasure of the Sierre Madre. After that he wanted to watch anything direction by John Huston.

One night Father Goose w/ Cary Grant was going to be on, I told everybody that come hell or high water, I was going to watch it. It was the best family night we'd had in a long time. Needless to say, they because big Cary Grant fans, but then who can blame them? My DD's favorite was Bringing Up Baby.
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 3:42 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• I agree with you cassie M. - We don't watch those types of shows.
    happynewyorker

Answer by happynewyorker at 3:46 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• We watch all sorts of movies with our boys. Sometimes they are oldies from the 40's and sometimes from the 80's or anything inbetween.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 5:40 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• Their entire lives I have made them watch "black and white" movies. They use to get really upset until the game Scene It came out. Boy are they good at all those old actors names and movies. Win every time :)
    momx3gx1b

Answer by momx3gx1b at 7:21 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• I've been on a older movie watching marathon. My boys discovered The Little Mermaid a few months ago and LOVE sebastian. Gremlins <~~~ My oldest said "Its a documentary about me and my brothers" HA! Flight of the Navigator (which was much cooler to me when I was younger lol). The Sandlot (They watch the part with the dog chase over and over again). I've had to hide Lion King, because quite frankly i'm worn out on listening to them ATTEMPT to sing the songs lol
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 7:31 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• Shirley Temple movies
    Gone w/ the Wind
    Sound of Music
    Singing in the Rain
    Wizard of Oz
    I think we have every Disney cartoon movie every made; except this newest Princess one...

I also have things for when they get a little older (4/2) like Secret of Nimh; Neverending Story; Dark Crystal; etc on DVD just waiting for them to be old enough to watch with me...
    Anonymous

• Yes. I enjoy watching any movies with my kids: from Monsters Inc to Kicking and Screaming... I love listening to their laughs :)
    Dulce.M.Porras

Answer by Dulce.M.Porras at 9:49 PM on Mar. 9, 2010