Under what circumstances would you, as a mother, give the bio-dad full custody?

Some dads are REALLY good dads and sometimes, a mother just feels like she cannot provide for her child emotionally and/or physically the way she needs to. I think it sometimes takes a real woman to admit that she just can't do it. I still get visitation, and my kids understand taht it was in their best interest. I had been battling and still battle depression, to the point where I've had to be hospitalized several times. I'm just not well, and my kids deserve a happy and healthy life. I will never regret my decision. It was because I love them so much that I let their daddy take over.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:20 PM on Mar. 9, 2010 in General Parenting

• I admire you for admitting that they have a higher quality of life with their dad. It is the ultimate sacrifice you made for your children's wellbeing
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:21 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• If you feel that is what is best for your children then its the right decision.When they are older they might not see it that way though, they might have resentment and come with the questions on How?,Why? Didn't you love me?.I personally could never give up my children unless I was very physically disabled or homeless!

Anonymous

• you are a wonderful mom for that! it must be so hard for you!
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 3:24 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• I think it is awesome you did that. If I were ever in that situation I think I would be able to make the same sacrafice as you. I know it would be hard though too, and kids do need their mom, just kake sure you see them often!
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 3:25 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• It is-esp. when their dad got married. I was really resentful at first, until I realized his wife truly does love MY kids as much as her own. We still don't see eye to eye, but we do respect one another.
    Anonymous

• If his mother was dead and would have no hand in raising my child.
    Anonymous

• You did good IMO.
    It is rare that this is the case though. Often when the mom gives up custody it is a much different situation.
    I have a friend who's wife decided one day being a wife and a mom wasn't her thing and she up and left. He has the child. He is a great dad - but it was a selfish act on the part of the mom and a shame.
    I personally would never give up custdoy of my son. - But then again there is no issue with me on why I would need to or why it would be better for him for me too.
    Anonymous

• I'm not sure my husband could handle our kids on his own but my mental state isn't the best. I've kept it in check pretty well the last 10 years but I've had 3 nervous breakdowns (at least one of those should have put me in the hospital but instead we sent the older kids to stay with family while I recovered). If I ever thought my control was slipping or that I just couldn't function any more then I would bow out of the daily caretaking. My kids have seen more then they should with my manic episodes. Of course, me and my husband are still together and just kind of muddle through things.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 4:27 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• I honestly cant event think in those terms right now, but I think you did good
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 4:28 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• Men do it all the time and no one thinks of less of them. I think you did right by your children.
    Anonymous