seasonal allergies...this early?

spring will be here soon, and in south georgia pollen is crazy. many people, including myself, has been getting hay fever and seasonal allergy colds. Well I noticed my son has been sniffling and rubbing his nose a lot...I can tell it is seasonal allergies from my personal reactions...but at 22 months old? seems so young to have them already? I had them as a kid, but I dont think I was THAT young. What can I do to help him? how can I tell if he has post nasal drip? should I treat this like a common cold?

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 3:35 PM on Mar. 9, 2010 in Kids' Health

• talk to his pedi about zyrtec or claratin
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 3:39 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• i wasnt sure if they could take that medicine so young! thanks I will bring it up. I see her in Aprill, I'll just wait till then since it's nothing serious
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 3:49 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• Oh no, he's not too young! One of my kids was really bad already at a year. OTC allergy meds like Claritin and Zyrtec are not to be used under 2 years old though - so yeah, we went through a year of suffering with one child, and months with others. I'm honestly not sure about Zyrtec, if it can be used as early as 2, but I know Claritin can. We use generic Claritin for our kids with the occasional Zyrtec thrown in for the older ones if they're really bad. DH and I also have allergy issues, and all 4 of our kids have allergies to some degree. If this year is anything like last year, at least 1 kid and I will need allergy shots (I'm extremely limited in what I can take due to other health stuff - Claritin is it for OTC or Rx allergy meds for me, and because we don't know if our kids could develop what I have we have to be careful what we give them).
    Anonymous

• If he has post nasal drip, he'll most likely start to develop a cough - PND irritates the back of the throat. It's how I know when in the spring to start my oldest's daily meds! You don't want to treat it as a common cold in that tylenol & things like that won't help. IF he would happen to develop a fever, you're dealing with more than allergies. Don't use Vicks or anything like that unless he does start with a cough from PND. If he starts coughing, call the doc and mention it all - some docs will give the go-ahead for allergy meds before 2 years if it really is bothersome. You can prop the head of his bed too, but no guarantee it will work. HTH!
    Anonymous

• ok no cough yet! thanks ladies :)
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 5:10 PM on Mar. 9, 2010