Do you touch stranger's children without premission?

Are you one these people that don't ask or give much warning about touching or getting up in the face of young children?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:40 PM on Mar. 9, 2010 in General Parenting

• You mean one of those people who feel that it is OK to touch a baby's face, hands, etc? NO.

Playing on a playground and help a child off of the slide, or up the last rung on the ladder? Yes.

I can not stand it when people touch babies without permission, especially hands, lips, face in general. You simply do not know what they are carrying, or what your child is being exposed to.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:25 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• I used to when my children were little because everyone did it. We were a frieednly bunch and no one minded. I don't now because the 20-somethingss are so darn nasty and you never know when one of them will be rude. There's no harm being done but they act as if you are attempting to nab their child. It's crazy.
    Anonymous

• No. Not even a push on a swing.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 3:42 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• The only time I've done it was recently, we had the boys at one of the local parks and a little boy that looked about 2-3 was climbing up one of those rope things. His mom was on the other side with his sister, he was climbing faster then she could get to him, he was right next to me cuz our little one had just climbed up. Hers was right about at my shoulder when he slipped, I grabbed him out of instinct. She was running around the side of the equipment and saw him fall, instead of getting pissy about it, I thought she was going to hug me. She thanked me, although I think she was a bit embarrassed at having him slip away from her. I told her not to worry about it, and that I knew it was hard to keep on eye on two tornadoes at once. We both laughed and that was about it.

Otherwise, no, I don't touch little ones.
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 3:49 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• to catch on a playground - yes. but with an explanation to a parent.

out of the blue, NEVER.

I don't like people touching me or my kids, so why would I disrespect them by touching their kids?
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 3:50 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• What kind of touching are you talking about?

Answer by louise2 at 3:55 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• some times when we play tag at the park other kids join in so I will end up "tagging" someone eles's kid eventually. or if someone is about to get hurt, like a toddler slipping on the stairs of something. Every so often I have stoped a runaway toddler that is running away from parent and redirected them back to mom or dad. It doesn't bother me if someone does the same. Some guy helped my 6 yr old up onto the tire swing at the park, his daughter was playing on it and my son asked if he could join and I think he saw that I was too pregnant to lift him and so he helped. I was very greatful for the help.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 4:04 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• Only if it's for their own good as if they are about to fall and get hurt, run into the street, get run down by bigger kids or are reaching for something dangerous. I don't care if the parents do yell at me. They'd probably yell even louder if I stood there and let their precious get hurt when I could have stopped it.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 4:22 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• no unless Im trying to stop them from running out of a store, or something like that, in my office, i do taxes, ppl can get overwhelmed and they dont pay attention to their children so close and since the door is so accessible I find myself taking over. :) its fun, i love kids, the parents obviously know me so they dont mind.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 4:22 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• Absolutely not. i don't care what decade we live in it's never been ok to touch a child you don't know. It's not rude or paranoid when a parent is protective of their children. IT'S THEIR JOB. I don't care if you get offended when I protect my children. you should know better considering you're an ADULT.
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 4:44 PM on Mar. 9, 2010