Are toddlers always this whiny?

My daughter is 15 months old. Nothing I do for her is pleasing. I neglect the housework and cooking in order to give her my time. If I leave the room, she wails. If I don't pay attention to her 100% of the time, she wails. I don't understand what happened! She used to be so calm and happy. Could it be the Terrible 2's already??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:19 PM on Mar. 9, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• yeah welcome to the terrible 2. by the way my dd is almost 3 and still terrible. more like horrible
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 4:21 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• Yep! Especially if she doesn't know a lot of words yet, she's just frustrated that she can't tell you what she wants, or maybe even if she knows words, doesn't know which one to use for what she's going through.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 4:22 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• It is a phase they go through, you have to ignore her and stop giving her ALL of your time she needs to play on her own, the whining will go away and be followed by real words soon enough .
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 4:25 PM on Mar. 9, 2010

• My twins went through a phase like that between 14 and 17 months. Thankfully it passed. They were more pleasant by 18 months, and MUCH more pleasant by 2 years. I found doing activities to keep them busy helped a lot, and taking them outside when possible also improved their temperaments. I think it is just a phase and it will pass. In the mean time try to do what you can to occupy your little ones mind. If you are cooking, put her in her highchair in the kitchen with you and give her a bowl of water and a whisk. When you fold laundry give her some washcloths to fold. Make games of picking up - throw things into baskets while counting them or calling out the color they are or the letter they start with. Music also does wonders for mood, so turn on the radio and dance while you do things - way better than tv!
    Anonymous

• You need to not always give her what she wants so she learns to be independent and self soothe. I mean give her what she needs and someimtes what she wants but not always.
    Sophie4910

Answer by Sophie4910 at 4:33 PM on Mar. 9, 2010